Lydia Presley's Reviews > Outside the Ordinary World

Outside the Ordinary World by Dori Ostermiller

Aug 28, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, family, fiction
Read from April 05 to 07, 2010

Outside the Ordinary World is a story of a mother and daughter, of marriage and marital issues and of, ultimately, mistakes made and the attempts made to right them.

Sylvia's mother is a religious woman. She's heavily involved in the Seventh-Day Adventist and, despite that religious leaning, she makes the mistake of looking outside of her marriage and involving her daughters in the decisions that will shape their lives.

The book switches back and forth from the early 70's to the mid-2000's. We move between learning Sylvia's story as she's growing up with an unfaithful mother to Sylvia's story as she struggles with an increasingly distant husband and temptation of her own.

I can't really say that I enjoyed or loved the book. My interest was caught through the story. It angered me and definitely brought out emotion in me - to the point of tears once or twice. It's not a light story or one that should be taken on for fun reading. Dori Ostermiller's writing is well done and I'm interested to find out what exactly inspired the story - because it's not one of those that you'd think someone would sit down and say, "Hmm, I think I'll write about this subject".

The story is educational though, especially in a society like today where marital affairs are so incredibly common. An interesting look at how it affects not only the husband and wife, but also the children in all families involved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside the Ordinary World.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dori (new) - added it

Dori Ostermiller The church is actually the Seventh-Day Adventist church, just for clarification. Thanks for the review!