Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Vanished Smile: The Mysterious Theft of Mona Lisa

Vanished Smile by R.A. Scotti

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: detective-crime, history, non-fiction
Read from March 03 to 12, 2012

I was intrigued to learn about "Vanished Smile: The Mysterious Theft of Mona Lisa" by R.A. Scotti, as I had been unaware that the Mona Lisa had been stolen in the early part of the 1900s.

Scotti starts off in crime novel like fashion setting the stage and going straight to the crime including interviews with the on-duty guard. I thought the middle slowed with a section more on the history of Mona Lisa than the crime.

There is a little twist at the end regarding potential accomplices written years after the crime, but unconfirmed to this day.

This is not a hefty tome in any sense at under 230 pages and it is a fairly quick read. The citations do not interfere and there are only a few footnotes offering additional information.

This was not a bad book, but I felt for lack of a better word it felt superficial. I did not get the sense of their being any depth to the research. On the other hand, if you want to simply learn about the theft of what has become the most iconic work of art in the world, then this is for you, quick and both easy to read and understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanished Smile.