Bethany Banks's Reviews > The Exile of Sara Stevenson

The Exile of Sara Stevenson by Darci Hannah

Jun 01, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010-books-i-ve-read
Read from April 05 to June 01, 2010

Quoted from the back of the book: "In 1814 Sara Stevenson, the well-bred but high-spirited daughter of celebrated Scottish lighthouse designer Robert Stevenson, falls in love with a common sailor, Thomas Crichton. On the day of their clandestine elopement, Thomas mysteriously disappears, leaving Sara heartbroken, pregnant and at the mercy of her overbearing family. Refusing to relinquish her hopes that Thomas will someday return to her, Sara is banished to an eerie lighthouse on lonely and remote Cape Wrath. There she meets William Campbell, the reclusive light-keeper who incites her ire and interest. Soon Sara begins to accept her life on the cape and her growing attraction to William, until a mystifying package from an Oxford antiquarian arrives, giving intriguing clues to Thomas's whereabouts. through her correspondence with the antiquarian, Sara slowly uncovers the story of her beloved's fate. But what she doesn't immediately grasp is that these letters travel an even greater distance than she could have imagined. As the boundaries between time and space unravel to allow an incredible connection between a woman and a man many years apart."

I will admit that is took me about 100 pages to really get hooked on this book. I'm not saying that it was slow or that it didn't hold my interest, but I was able to put it down and walk away from it for a few days. I really liked the story and I liked to see how the characters grew. Sara remains pretty headstrong and stubborn, but she begins to think of others and not only of herself. The relationship between her and William was fun to read. Their clashes and growing attraction.
I will warn you that if you are person who needs to know exactly why something has happened, you will not be too pleased with the "boundaries of time and space" explanation. Where I don't mind the way it was described, I have read that others had a problem with it. I don't want to reveal this part of the book, but if any of you want to speak with me about it, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exile of Sara Stevenson.

05/11/2010 page 40
05/30/2010 page 165
41.25% "When I pick this book up to read it, I enjoy it and read a lot. But when I set it down, sometimes I go a long time before I pick it back up again. Is that weird?"
05/31/2010 page 215
53.75% "The book is picking up pace a little bit. I think it was just the first 100 pages that I was a little indifferent towards. I want to finish it today if I can..."
06/01/2010 page 400
100.0% "The book is actually 382 pages long if you include the Author's Note at the end. I really liked this book. Hope Darci Hannah keeps writing."
show 3 hidden updates…