Crystal's Reviews > Double Love

Apr 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: i-own, read-april-2010
Read from April 10 to 11, 2010

Wow - the memories this book brings back. I think I read most of this series when I was in middle school/high school and enjoyed it so much. I actually had to pace myself I was going through them so fast. I kept the books too, until our house and property was flooded during Hurricane Isabel and the box all the books were in became a casualty of the flood.

So awhile back I saw a post on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books about a new Sweet Valley series that would follow Elizabeth and Jessica in their 20s. I was intrigued. I knew the Sweet Valley High books were no literary masterpiece, but I remembered them as very enjoyable and why else do I read but to enjoy and be entertained.

So I found Double Love on and ordered it. It sat on my shelf for a few weeks, and I kept trying to get to it, but there are so many other new books to read out there I couldn't seem to make time to read a book I read before. Then came the read-a-thon and I was getting tired. I figured this took little concentration so I grabbed it and started reading it.

The memories came back, except now I absolutely can't stand Jessica - she is so horrible, self-obsessed and conniving and Elizabeth is so sweet and understanding. I don't remember hating Jessica before, in fact I think I kind of wanted to be her. Now I think back to how deranged I must have been. But I was a teenager and what teenager doesn't want to be the prettiest, most popular girl in the school. I just don't think I noticed how self-centered she was before.

So there is a great juxtaposition of the twins - one sweet and kind, the other self-absorbed. Double Love was a fun book to introduce us to the twins and I enjoyed reading it once again. Looking back now I think 90210 must have used some of the ideas from these books for their shows (though most of it is universal teenage themes - so I'm not accusing them of plagiarism). Just put in fraternal twins instead of identical twins. One is brainy and works for the school newspaper and wants to do good, the other wants to be popular and will do what she has to be that way. It's just funny to see it now.

So Double Love is good, it's a quick read and suitable for teenage girls. The language is not rough, the situations are typical and the books do teach a little in the end.

I'm looking forward to reading Secrets next and I just received it from PBS.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Love.

04/11/2010 page 42