David's Reviews > The Scar

The Scar by China Miéville

Apr 21, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, horror
Read from April 05 to 21, 2010

Mieville is one of those astoundingly creative fantasy writers who offhandly mentions ideas that are so badass that a lesser writer would base an entire story or book around each one. And he does this every ten or twenty pages. And then you find out the ones that he DOES base his book around. Whoa. Dude is weird. More later.

**************************************************************************

I mean really, who DOESN'T want to read about a pirate city made of revamped ships populated by the likes of cactus people and vampires and dragged around the ocean by an enormous sea monster? And the best part is that there's an actual plot as well! And the bester part than that is that the characters are believable and likable and despicable and interesting! BUT WAIT... THAT'S NOT ALL! The dude can write!

But on the real. Perdido Street Station was really good, but I personally like sea stories, so this dose of badassitude was right up my alley. Read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate I wanted to tell you I REALLY liked your review, beyond the simple "like" button I clicked on. I wish there were a "best review on the page" button or something. This is one of my favorite books ever and you review says it all and made me chuckle. yay!

David I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm glad I could entertain someone else with my rambling.