K's Reviews > Lover Mine

Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

May 03, 2010

bookshelves: fangs, read-in-2010
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I have never, ever looked forward to a book so much. Boy, am I glad the book is well worth the hype.

Lover Mine is a complicated web of plots and sub-plots, and I loved every single one of them. The main plot first. For the first time in the series, I felt more drawn to the heroine than the hero. Don't get me wrong, I love JM - but we have been long overdue for a kick-ass heroine, and Xhex fitted this role perfectly. And even better, Ward managed to show us a vulnerable softer side to this very independent, complicated and strong-willed character, without her turning all girly and shit. I loved seeing Xhex take on the big bad boys, I loved watching her go out and fight with her hellren, she is the perfect partner for JM.

This was intricately woven into the other story arcs - Darius' intriguing back story, Lash getting his ass kicked, the seemingly unconnected Paranormal Investigators, piecing together the enigma that is Payne etc. In the past I have been known to skim slower parts of the books, e.g. scenes involving the lessers, but to my surprise I looked forward to and devoured absolutely everything in this book.

As for Qhuinn and Blay's continuing saga, I'm not even going to pretend to be objective, because there are simply too many emotions already invested in these two. I am obsessed with them, and proud of it. The countdown, the Team Qhuay cheers, the speculations, the joy and relief when their HEA was confirmed, the adrenaline rush when the Warden teased us with that Blay shower scene in the Covet chat, the Warden's cryptic reassurance for Qhuay shippers to hang on ... when I finally got LM in my hands, I was not disappointed. This was the first time we got Blay's POV in all its emotional highs and lows. Unfortunately, more lows than highs. We knew things were not going to go well in this book, but still, I had some very violent OMFG moments. I know I yelled at the both of them many times, even though I was pretty sure they can't hear me. They deserve their own book, they definitely don't deserve to be told as a side story. I don't care whether it's a full length novel or a novella (although it goes without saying, the longer the better). Qhuinn and Blay mean so much to so many of us. I hope when they finally get together, the Warden will not hold back.

Lover Mine is in my top 3 out of the 8 in the series so far. 4.5 Stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

Quotes K Liked

J.R. Ward
“Fuckin' A... hope didn't so much spring eternal as it drowned out common sense and self-preservation.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Mine
tags: blay

04/30/2010 page 0
0.0% "Baby did a bad bad thing. I started off w good intentions but got impatient & skipped ahead to the Qhuay story arc. So, let's start again .."
05/01/2010 page 29
5.49% "Staring at the symbols, for one brief, ridiculous moment he imagined his own name across Qhuinn's shoulders ..." 2 comments
05/01/2010 page 41
7.77% "as their eyes met, his mismatched stare flashed...almost like he was turned on more by who was watching him, than who he was hooking up with"
05/01/2010 page 245
46.4% ""Say the word," he whispered harshly. "Say the word and I won't go."" 3 comments
05/01/2010 page 414
78.41% ""I love you," Blay whispered so quietly that the sound of the rushing water drowned out the words." 4 comments
05/03/2010 page 444
84.09% ""I miss you. I miss you so fucking bad it hurts, but I don't know how to find you even though you're right in front of me." :'("