Meghan's Reviews > Emily of New Moon

Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: kids-books, 2010-read, nerdy-girls-book-club
Read in March, 2010

I LOVED Anne of Green Gables, which is why it completely baffles me that I never sought out more LMM books. I know I didn't read all of the Anne series; I read the first two and then just watched the movie over and over again. Oh what a young nerd I was.

I recently picked up Emily at the request of my friend who is a fellow Anne lover but admitted she really liked Emily more. It took me a few chapters to really start enjoying Emily but once I started I finished all three books within a week.

The story and characters are similar to Anne but where Anne was always that girl that you wanted to be, Emily is that girl that you actually were. I think the character of Emily is one that girls could more easily relate to. Emily struggles with growing up and trying to balance making others happy while also making herself happy.

I found myself often comparing LMM to Louisa May Alcott and I am not exactly sure why except for the fact that both wrote for young girls of their times. What I find different and more attractive about LMM's writing is her descripions of people and place as well as her development of characters. LMM's love of nature and PEI are apparant and she easily transports readers and makes you want to be there. LMM also develops characters that you can actually believe exist. I found myself always feeling like Marme was too perfect and too good to be true but Aunt Laura and Aunt Elizabeth had their faults and good points. LMM also introduces some interesting aspects to her characters including disfunctional family with Teddy Kent and his mother.

The first book and the third are by far the better of the three although I enjoyed all three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily of New Moon.