Sara's Reviews > Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation

Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts

Nov 29, 07

bookshelves: history, nonfiction, audiobooks
Recommended for: Anyone who thought colonial women were stuck in the kitchen!
Read in November, 2007

I'm not particularly interested in the American Revolution or the founding fathers, but I picked up this book because I thought I might learn some interesting stories. And I certainly did.

This book uncovers incredible stories of women running farms, businesses and families through the uncertain times of late colonial life. There are stories of women defending their homes from Loyalists, outwitting the British as spies and even fighting on the front lines.

Two famous women, Martha Washington and Abigail Adams have rather top-billing, but they had very interesting places as the female leaders of the new republic's social scene.

However, readers (or listeners, who may appreciate the familiarity of Cokie Roberts as the reader) should be fully prepared to develop a surprising dislike of Ben Franklin. I have been used to thinking of Ben Franklin as radical printer, ingenious inventor, skilled negotiator, but this book shows him as husband and father and I thought he sounded dreadful as both.

I looked forward to turning on this audiobook the moment I got in my car and raced through it with hardly a pause for radio or music. I thought a few times that I might have found reading it a little tedious, but I was never bored while listening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Founding Mothers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kressel Housman Interesting warning about Franklin.

Gail Well done!My sentiments exactly.