Ana's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Apr 04, 2010

liked it

I read this one awhile ago, mostly because my mom had a lot of V.C. Andrews books and it seemed interesting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It didn't make me want to read the next book in the series, and I never have, which is odd because typically if I've started a series, no matter how bad or far-fetched it is (Earth's Children, anyone?), I must keep reading to finish the series (I've read half of the 5th, didn't bring it to Japan, and was so, so sad when I found out there'd be a sixth. I thought I was almost done!).

This book is definitely dark, deranged, and shocking that the mother would be so selfish and capricious while the grandmother would be such a monster, though the reactions of the children are for the most part understandable. I did enjoy the ballet angle, and thought that the failed relationship due to lack of communication was stupid and unnecessary. I hate when characters throw away their happiness because they don't check on a rumor, or when a simple misunderstanding causes major problems. It's one of the most-used plot devices for a reason, I suppose, but it still bugs me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.