GateGypsy's Reviews > Mouse Guard: Fall 1152

Mouse Guard by David Petersen

Apr 04, 10

Read in April, 2010

I purchased this, and its sequel, while on vacation this spring. We also purchased the related role-playing game.
From the backleaf:
" 'Petersen Manages to create a fascinating world in a brief amount of space... the art is simply wonderful... Mouse Guard feels very much in the vein of classics like Watership Down.'
The forest is a dangerous place for any animal, especially one as small as a mouse. In the past, the mouse world endured a tyrannical Weasel Warlord until a noble band of mouse soldiers fought back. Ever since, the Mouse Guard has defended the peace and prosperity of its kingdom. For generations, this league of scouts, weather-watchers, trailblazers, and protectors has passed down its knowledge and skills.
Now three of the Guard's finest have been dispatched. The mission seems simple: They are to find a missing mouse, a grain merchant who never arrived at his destination. But when they find him, they make a shocking discovery -- one that involves a treacherous betrayal, a stolen secret, and a rising power that has only one goal: to bring down the Guard.
'Lovingly crafted on every level... Petersen fully believes in his little heroes, and he's crafted their world so expertly that you'll believe in them, too. A unique and noteworthy debut.'
'Sumptuously illustrated and smartly scripted.' "

I tend to agree with much of the backleaf: the artwork is quite fetching. I adored Watership Down, and I found these characters to have similar depth. I look forward to finding out more about the history of their world, and their further adventures. I'm glad I was able to be introduced to this world so much at once. I really count myself lucky to have discovered this only after two collections and the game have been released! I wonder if Petersen has any plans for a novel?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Guard.