Carol's Reviews > So Much For That

So Much For That by Lionel Shriver

F 50x66
Apr 04, 2010

Read in April, 2010

Shepherd Knacker is a protagonist after my own heart, the kind of guy who works hard, pays his bills, pays a lot of his relatives' bills, takes care of his family and defers his dreams. He wants to escape the rat-race but his wife is diagnosed with cancer and he needs his health insurance. Or does he? The book is unsparing and clear about issues needing discussing, including, just how much health insurance (and Medicare) do NOT pay for, and, just how oncology gives patients awful treatments that only extend their lives a few weeks or months at the cost of all the family's financial resources. As a physician with oncology experience, I can testify to the truth of the depiction of both issues. The story also gets behind the seemingly uneven relationship of soft-touch husband and mean-spirited wife to their basic love. A couple who are good friends also are well depicted, although the husband's self-destruction strikes a false note. The couple's daughter, afflicted with a congenital and inevitably fatal disorder, entertains us by being candidly angry. I was delighted to have discovered this author.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much For That.

02/26 marked as: read