Joe S's Reviews > Naked Lunch

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Nov 29, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: novels

So, basically, the meaningless drivel of the very first circuit boi? Seriously? Maybe I would have liked it better if I weren't already sick to death of all the hallucinatory narratives this book spawned. This is a structure that needed to be created only once to get the bastard over with and properly buried.

Drug narratives are always only autobiographies obsessed with the author's secret obscene wishes and (inevitably) Neanderthal politics. They are the literary equivalent of a frotteur on the subway recounting an especially long and boring dream.

As a dear friend once told me, "Shut the fuck up, you stupid stoner."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Lunch.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

But Peter Weller rules, sir. Admit it. ADMIT IT.

message 2: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Tosh Only one star! This book is so funny. I think you have to love the Burroughs narrative... or one doesn't. In this case you clearly don't love the voice of Burroughs

message 3: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason When I first started reading Burroughs in my teens, I don't think I had any idea how funny he was. Younger readers are too stunned by the weirdness, I think. One key reason he should be re-read.

Tosh, have you heard the audio book with Burroughs reading NL? Some of the funniest shit I've ever heard in my life. Great, great stuff.

message 4: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new) - added it

R. Personally, I'm a bit suspicious of this "restored text" version of Naked Lunch , especially since restoration of text was...totally a (possibly a) violation of Burroughs' own artistic vision.

message 5: by Bryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Bryan You know that Peter Weller is, last I heard, in the process of getting a Ph.D. in ancient history at Syracuse.

That's right, it'll be DOCTOR Robocop from now on.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Damn. That guy's my HERO.

message 7: by Gregory (new)

Gregory *fist bump* Great review Joe. Spot on.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Davis I aiwaya thought it had nothing to do w/WSB and everything yo do w/ you ,the

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike Davis ...to do w/you,the reader.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Anyway,MBourroughs was a nice guy

message 11: by Danie (new)

Danie Is that the kind of book which, as Shakespeare said it makes "much ado about nothing"? You know the kind of famous books of literature that are actually crap? Oh my god...I have a revelation! Someday Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey and co are going to be classified as best literature book!!! Holy shit the world is doomed...anyways thanks for the review! I'll read few pages and won't be upset if I can't finish it or enjoy it :)