Katie's Reviews > Thirsting for God: In a Land of Shallow Wells

Thirsting for God by Matthew Gallatin

Apr 05, 10

Well Gallatin--a former fundamentalist/evangelical/charismatic Protestant converted to Orthodoxy--did a great job on the Protestant side of this book. He knocks down Protestant objections to various traditions and beliefs of the ancient church quite handily, although if you are the Lutheran or Anglican type of Protestant you won't need nearly as much of the trying-too-hard argumentation when it comes to things such as infant baptism or the fact that it's ok to recognize the saints. He makes very clear what he finds to be the faults and shortcomings of the Protestant stream of Christian tradition, and to a large degree, I agree with him. However, it's ironic that even as he protests against the Protestant "rationalist" streak and sola scriptura, he proof-texts the heck out of this book, and prattles on endlessly with mind game type arguments like the former fundamentalist preacher he is. The book slowly filled me with dread; I am beginning to investigate the Orthodox faith because of problems I have with Protestantism (and different objections I have with Catholicism). Gallatin keeps informing us that so many evangelicals like himself have gone Orthodox recently and now I feel a chill down my spine as I fear showing up in the Orthodox church only to find the same selective-bible-quoting, fast-talking, bloodshot eyed contemporary Christian mania. I am hoping my next two planned reads--both by Bishop Ware--will be a balm to this paranoia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirsting for God.