Nicole G.'s Reviews > Forever

Forever by Judy Blume

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult, banned-books
Read in March, 2010

Ah, Forever. The one Judy Blume book that my pre-pubescent girlfriends and I actively sought but could never find at our school or local libraries. For years I've wanted to know what the fuss was about, after perusing websites regarding banned books and finding this was still one that was very controversial.

At age 28 and in the year 2010, Forever is available in quite a few local libraries, although I'm sure schools disavow any knowledge of it (and besides, most girls today are all about Twilight).

I was a bit taken aback at the explicitness of certain scenes (not that this bothers me as an adult, but given the age of the readers this book is written for). The characters could have been explored a bit more, especially Michael, as he just seemed to be after it hot and heavy and didn't have much interest in anything else (except skiing). Katherine is a wishy-washy young girl, willing to give up her entire life for twoo wuv - and yet, haven't we known girls, nay, adults, just like that?

At bottom, I suppose, it is a cautionary tale - when you are young, you hope for "forever," and then at some point, reality crashes its way in.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.