Alexa SOF2014's Reviews > Hope Was Here

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books-betts

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer tells the story of 16-year old Hope. Her unfocused mother left her in the care of her Aunt Addie who travels all over the U.S to work as a cook. Hope is all alone. She finds a deep connection with the people she serves food to as a waitress. She also gains self-confidence. Hope and her Aunt leave New York City to work in a rural diner in Wisconsin. She is very worried that she will be bored out of her mind in the local diner, the Welcome Stairways Diner. But, she has a very different experience. The owner of the diner G.T is kind and has a huge heart but is quite ill with leukemia. The diner ends up being the center of politics in the town. Hope gets caught up in the intrigue and corruption of the political race. In the process she discovers her past and has her own maturing journey.

I think it was very brave and mature to leave New York City and her mom for rural Wisconsin. I know how close I am to my parents. I don't think I could do it like Hope did. I love the fact that Hope sees the good qualities in people, especially G.T. I believe G.T becomes a father figure for Hope and she will give him the courage to win.

This book deserves 4 stars in my point of view! It was very interesting and symbolic that on her 12th birthday her Aunt let her change her name from Tulip to Hope. Her name is perfect for her because she gives hope to everyone she meets. Hope gives everyone the courage to believe in ones self and have faith!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope Was Here.