BJ Rose's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

2030200
Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, gr-authors, social-issues, spring-challenge, young-adult
Read from April 03 to 04, 2010

Wintergirls live in the borderlands, and their existence in the real world is the surreal one. The trick is to try to avoid all the pitfalls of the real world, i.e., the evils of eating, and the lies of people who tell you that you're not fat, that your arms are like sticks when you can clearly see that they're as fat and heavy as logs. But when you fall off the edge of the borderlands, you're lost - Cassie is lost/dead, and Lia feels both betrayed and guilty about Cassie's death; she sees and talks to Cassie's ghost constantly.

This was not an easy book to read. I knew that I would be reading about a girl with anorexia, but not that I would be living in her head, which was very scary - to see the total lack of self-esteem, of hating what she thought she was. I've read other books about cutters, but this was the first one that gave a reason for cutting other than creating designs on the body or inflicting deserved pain (in the opinion of the cutter), Lia's main purpose in cutting was to let the fat and toxins ooze out of her body, so her cutting appeared to be completely tied to her anorexia, which was tied to her lack of self-worth, and so on.

Lia's lifeline appears to be her young sister Emma - she loved playing with her, baking for her, and I think in the end that Emma was Lia's reason for wanting to come back to the real world rather than joining Cassie.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

MK (Food actvist) Great review, BJ. Sounds interesting.

BJ Rose It was very interesting, but also very chilling. Kids are just so vulnerable to peer and societal pressures, and too many are just not strong enough emotionally to deal with those pressures.

MK (Food actvist) This author was on recommended authors list. I asked for rec's of YA books to read. This was one author. So I suppose she's worth checking out, thanks again. You reminded me to get back to finding her book[s:].

The book Speak was turned into a Lifetime movie with that Kristen Stewart [chick from the Twilight movies:].