Andreea's Reviews > Frankenstein

F_50x66
May 27, 10

bookshelves: 11th-grade
Read in March, 2010

It's clear why this book had become a classic; the premise is one that people still fear even (maybe most especially) today. The scientist of the novel is a very smart and eager young man, intending to do only good, who is eventually defeated by his own ingeniosity and loses control of his own creation.

One thing that surprised me was that the monster's name isn't actually Frankenstein, even though it's been popularized that way. The scientist is Dr. Frankentstein... the monster has no name. And I say monster onlye because he was labeled that way. In he end, he too had good intentions that were rendered irrelevant by humanity's tendency to judge and reject.

If there was one thing in the beautiful novel that I couldn't connect with, it's the writing style. Though Mary Shelley phrased her words beautifully and had bits of wisdom hidden in her work ("Nought may endure but mutability"). I also found no difference in the style of the three different narrators. Sometimes, I felt that that judgements made were too "Shelley" as opposed to "Frankenstein", or "the monster", and that kept me from connecting with the characters.

The lessons in this book as extensive, from things as trite as "don't judge a book by its cover" things more deep and thought-provoking: how far should we take our minds and imaginations? what is justice for the monster, made monstruous only by normal people? can we condemn those we create?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.