Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Vegan Unplugged: A Pantry Cuisine Cookbook and Survival Guide

Vegan Unplugged by Jon Robertson

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: cookbook, non-fiction, vegan, vegetarian, reviewed, reference
Recommended for: people at risk for any natural disaster, people who don’t have time to cook; everybody
Read from January 02 to April 30, 2012 — I own a copy

I bought this book because I live in an area at risk for severe earthquakes and because sometimes the power does go out for other reasons.

It’s a fabulous reference book and I’m glad I have it. There are tons of useful tips given, including what you need in addition to the foods mentioned in the book. Water, obviously, but also all sorts of tools and other survival equipment, etc.

In addition to natural disasters and power outages, people who don’t have full kitchen facilities, who don’t like to cook, who may be camping or living outdoors, or just traveling on the road or vegans traveling to others’ houses will find this book useful.

I really appreciate that companion animals’ needs are taken into account here. When I had my dog I always kept emergency supplies for both of us. But there is some information here I’d not thought of, such as reducing the need for drinking water by giving some canned/wet food.

In addition to the recipes (this is a cookbook) there is so much information about various resources, much more than I’d expected.

The “Five-Day Meal Box” and recipes are designed for 4 people. There are menus and grocery lists provided. I have to say the suggestions in here are healthier and more economical than the food contents in earthquake packs. I’ve bought those before and the “food” is vegan but consists of blocks of coconut bars. So, while not lacking in calories, added to the anxiety consumers are likely to be feeling, they increase the chance even more of myocardial infarctions, strokes, and other medical events.

All that said, if there is a major earthquake here, major enough that the power goes out but not so severe as to destroy my car and apartment building, I’m likely to be opening cans 2 or 3 or 4 times a day and eating their contents as is, and/or eating crackers and candy, etc.

But the recipes gave me some great ideas and they are also fine for times when the reader doesn’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most do require some cooking so it helps to have a secure outdoor area where a camp style stove can be used if you’re using this book because of the power going out. There is also a list of no cook recipes and at the recipe pages these have a no cook icon, a pot with a line drawn through it.

My favorite part of the book is a blurb in the Desserts section. There is a box titled “Therapy on a Plate” and the author mentions that “stressed” is “desserts” spelled backwards. So true! (I always keep at least a couple vegan chocolate candy bars in the house so I’ll have that comfort if there is any kind of natural or human caused disaster.)

Contents:

Emergency Supplies
Official Agencies
Important Phone Numbers

Index

So, this happens to be my 2,000th review written for Goodreads. Wow! I’m impressed. ;-) I’ve been a member here for just about 5 years. I guess I could have done an even better job describing this book and its usefulness. But, I do own it, so if anybody has any questions about it, feel free to ask, and since I have it on hand I’ll be able to answer any questions. However, nobody is really at zero risk for facing emergency situations so I’d recommend this book to everybody, and not just for vegans. The author makes the valid point that when the power is out the first foods to go dangerously bad are meats and dairy and eggs, so vegan foods are a wise way to go in emergencies, for everybody, not just people who eat vegan all the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan Unplugged.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ms Bubbles SockieP Congrats on writing so many reviews. I have enjoyed reading them.

Lisa Vegan Petra X wrote: "Congrats on writing so many reviews. I have enjoyed reading them."

Thanks, Petra. I also enjoy your reviews, very much.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  Maybedog I must say that I Couldn't have imagined a book on such a topic but I think it would be a great gift for my step dad. Very thorough review!

Lisa Vegan Kelly, Thanks. I try. And, if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer. If you give it to your step-dad I hope he likes it and finds it useful.