Sue's Reviews > The Diary of a Nobody

1203275
Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction, 1001-books, british
Read from February 25 to 27, 2011

The narrator, Charles Pooter, is a middle-class clerk who is very concerned with keeping up appearances. He is somewhat of a boor: he repeats his jokes, he reveres those he perceives as higher-class even if they are jerks, he is unkind to his servants. His son Lupin is an independent thinker who is interested in the theater and speaking his mind, which vexes Pooter. Pooter is the opposite of Bertie Wooster. Wooster lives a rich internal life and is very witty and imaginative, which makes him great to read but makes the film adaptations somewhat lacking. The inside of Pooter's head is incredibly boring and drab, but he would be hilarious on film because the things that are funniest about him are in other people's perceptions. As the 1001 Books book mentions, Basil Fawlty is the type.
It was not all that funny. I warmed up to it toward the end, though. I much prefer Wodehouse's humor, since it is not as mean. I felt sorry for Pooter because I disliked him so much!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Nobody.