Joyzi's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, ya-books, 5-stars-or-more, fiction, own, disappointing-books, author-was-possessed, reviewed, don-t-judge-me, read-more-than-once, dystopia, political-intrigue, book-series, banned, author-american, nook, thought-provoking
Recommended to Joyzi by: Stephenie Meyer
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from April 04 to August 28, 2010, read count: 5 uhhm idk more like 10, 20 geeeez I lost count bummer

Note: Hey I have written a fanfic and you've got to read it: Peeta Mellark in Real Life *puppy Peeta eyes*

***SPOILER AND SWEAR ALERT***

(A super rushed review coming from a still emotional Peeniss (PeetaxKatniss) and Finnie (FinnickxAnnie) fan, please forgive my obscenities and my nonsense ramblings. This is not a rant, or maybe it is, but don't worry Collins, I still love you sweetheart.)

Finally I finished reading this disturbing book. Please, please, please don't let that baby blue color cover of this book fooled you. The book is intense, horrifying, scary, sad, tragic, creepy and sick. I actually have two ratings for this book, I'm still undecided if I'm going to give five stars or one star rating. I don't want to settle it on three stars because it doesn't make any sense, it's either of the two I guess, either it's amazing or I don't like it at all.

Why-oh-why the five star rating?
1. I still love the book and I still think Suzanne Collins is an alien I mean a genius who had these out of this world ideas that perhaps I wouldn't think in a million years.

2. The book has its depth, I mean this is a very serious, powerful thought provoking and mind-blowing book. The message and the content are strong, and sometimes I do get the feeling that maybe the problem is me and not the book.

3. God damn it! Every end of the chapter of this freaking book is like WTF moments. It's like the inevitable, dreadful, most shocking events are most often than not are at the end of the chapters and that was really amazing in the part of the author.

4. I really have these hysterical moments wherein I just scream Peeta's name over and over, and then I cry like WTF is happening to me. I swear thank goodness, I am inside my room and no one's watching me so that I can freely scream, cry, become hysterical without someone thinking I'm going crazy. This was the only book that had me lost my mind while reading it. I swear I became too emotional like I feel like I'm going insane.

5. This book definitely and undoubtedly has the ability to haunt you, as in after reading the book, I can't stop thinking about it, even I dream about it that I have nightmares for two nights now, Suzanne Collins what have you done to me???!!!!

6. I really love the song "The Hanging Tree" even though it's really creepy.

7. I love love love Finnick. I guess one of my favorite moments in the book is when Annie and Finnick reunites, it's just too sexy. It's just too sad though that Finnick is dead like I want to say fuck you! Why do you have to kill Finnick after the wedding and all that you would kill him off? I just want to yell at the author I'm so pissed off.

8. I love the intrigue like at the beginning I know there's something wrong with District 13 and President Coin. I love that Katniss chose to kill Coin instead of Snow that really blindside me like totally didn't see it coming. I love how the truth was being altered by these manipulative politicians. I don't want to elaborate, but I just love the turn of events in the end, what can I say, but brilliant3x!

9. The epilogue is so sad and touching and I really like it because Katniss and Peeta end up together and then they have kids, and there's no more hunger games, happily ever after.

Why-oh-why the one star rating?
1. Almost all the characters that I love from the first two books, I hate in this book. I hate Gale! yeah yeah especially him! There are many moments wherein I really don't trust him and then I really wanted that some bomb would kill him or whatever. I don't know, but I really hate him like he's so heartless with what he did in District Two and then the bomb that killed Prim, was his design, I think he goes off to District Two because I think in the end he can't face Katniss anymore after what he did even if it's indirectly to Prim's death. I also hate Katniss, I know that she was being manipulated, brainwashed, used like a puppet/tool/pawn by Coin and the given circumstances, but she really break apart in this book. She gave way to morphling and insanity, and her being the Mockingjay is a little bit scripted. The propos too flashy and cheesy (the costumes, make-up and all those fake smoke) that it was more ridiculous than real for me.

2. She killed off Finnick and it's too gruesome as in ewww and there's like many more disturbing moments in the book wherein I think it's really hard to read because it's too much gore really, with images of blood, intestines, blown extremities. The violence is just too much especially to the children, when they are being used as a trap and then their bodies just blown off. I mean it's just too dark that I really don't like it.

3. The romance is just like Twilight like when Gale and Peeta were talking and I was like I felt I read something like this when Jacob and Edward were also talking while Bella is eavesdropping. I was like while reading that part, WTH is this twilight or something?

4. Gale leaves Katniss off and live on District 2 and Katniss ends up with Peeta in 12. I know even though Katniss has finally made the decision, I just want it to be fair like, why did Gale if she really loves Katniss, just leaves her and work on District 2, doesn't make sense to me even if I hate Gale.

5. The deaths of the other characters are not known like what happens to Cinna, Portia, Madge, etc. they just mentioned in the book that they're dead.

6. A minor character replaced Coin as the new president, which also disappointed me because when she was mentioned it was funny that I don't remember her right away.

7. Another ridiculous death scene is how President Snow dies, it was unclear and utterly unrealistic.

8. I know this is a war story and that's why the plot is a big mess, but somehow I was hoping for a moment of redemption or justice in the storyline. Somehow the reason for fighting was lost, the humanity and the morality were lost and in the end I really question the rebels' actions because their actions were verging on revenge. And still confused me why did Katniss vote yes for another Hunger Games and this time for the children of Capitol, I believe that this is very controversial and I need the author to explain this to me.

Favorite Quotes:
"I'm going to be the Mockingjay."

"Some walks you have to take alone"

"Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love."

"You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces."

"Oh, that I do know...Katniss will pick whoever she thinks she can't survive without."

"That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that."

"You love me. Real, or not real?"
I tell him, "Real."

"There are much worse games to play."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm planning to have a review by chapters when I get the book on the 25th of August (if you're wondering why not August 24 it's because I'm in the Philippines) so that I could have review and spoilers fast enough. I'm actually planning to read slower because I know that I'm going to be dreadful if I read too fast knowing that this is the last book of the trilogy.

I'm currently rereading Hunger Games and Catching Fire this weekend to refresh my memory and yeah I know that would probably my fifth time reading it, but I'm surprised that I was really still enjoying it as if its like reading it for the first time.

Yeah I'm Team Peeta, but I know that Gale would probably get more presence and importance this time since he's with Katniss at the end of Catching Fire and Peeta was like a captive of the Capitol. I'm not into Gale because in the last two books he was not always there and I think the books were really focused on Katniss and Peeta's relationship. It might be just me, but I believe that it would really make more sense if Katniss ends up with Peeta since from the last two books they are the main protagonists and Gale was like more of an extra character, but since Suzanne Collins was very unpredictable she might change my mind when I read the third book and Gale's character hopefully would develop more.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my God!

The long wait is over!

I'm planning to have it pre-order in National Bookstore and thus I will also get a free Mockingjay shirt...*big smile*

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it.^^

I hope Peeta lives, Ms. Suzanne! please, please, please

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Joyzi Liked

Suzanne Collins
“There are much worse games to play.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick?" I say, "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"
I laugh. Boggs looks embarrassed and Finnick looks more like the guy I met at the Quarter Quell”

“I knew you'd kiss me."
"How?" I say. Because I didn't know myself.
"Because I am in pain," He say's. "That's the only way I get your attention.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Suzanne Collins
“Some walks you have to take alone.”

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

Suzanne Collins
“Sometimes when I'm alone, I take the pearl from where it lives in my pocket and try to remember the boy with the bread, the strong arms that warded off nightmares on the train, the kisses in the arena.”

08/25/2010 page 41
10.0% "Idk, I hate the people from district 13 at the moment."
08/27/2010 page 298
76.0% "OMG! Peeta! Pita! Pita! The book was amazing so far, it's like my heart and brain want to explode or something. I can't wait to finish reading it. Lol"
08/27/2010 page 314
81.0% "P***** i**! Finnick is dead, i don't think i can read anymore, it's too much gore haha, ewan ko kinikilabutan na ko, kelan ba matatauhan c pita?" 1 comment

message 1: by Katrine (new) - added it

Katrine B. Peeta can live, as long as Gale gets to be the love of her life!

KaiPea O: It's here? OMG!

message 3: by Joyzi (last edited Aug 17, 2010 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyzi Eeeek. I don't want Katniss to end up with Gale

message 4: by Katrine (new) - added it

Katrine B. Aw, but he's so... MACHO!

message 5: by Joyzi (last edited Aug 17, 2010 02:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyzi Yeah I know, Gale is the hunter and Peeta is the baker. I don't know but Peeta is more suitable for Katniss since he's more soft unlike Katniss who has a strong character. I also felt that Peeta shows more compassion and a lot more romantic than Gale is, since Gale is less showy about his feelings for Katniss.

Anne LOL @ update status xD

but psh... you have to keep the spoilers down .__. *is more concerned with the spoiler than the major, major censored mura*

message 7: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely So, have you finally read this book?

Joyzi K.D. wrote: "So, have you finally read this book?"

Yeah I want to yell haha, I'm still emotional, I kind of hate/love it, still undecided, atleast Peeta and katniss end up together, that's what important for me

Isamlq hi! as i was reading it i did not know how i felt about it... but now i think it could not have ended in any other way...

Joyzi If I were to change the ending, i prefer it if Gale dies instead of Finnick. If only President Snow's death could be clearer, like it looked like a joke when they just said in the book that he died choking his tongue or whatever. I also prefer it if Katniss' character remain strong and that she didn't succumbed to morphling/insanity.

Cienne Olaes i enjoyed reading your review Joyzi (even if i go against finnick+annie and katniss+peeta...) some points taken and have agreed... it feels nice to have a venue to talk about these things... specifically disappointments and the appreciated stuff. Aaron's review was also helpful in giving me a different perspective and some vague areas for me was sort of cleared already in the other reader's view.

Thanks for sharing!

message 12: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I have got to get my hands on this trilogy. I read the summary of "Hunger Games" and it sounds really cool.

message 13: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Wow! Great review, Joyzi!

message 14: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Yes, I liked Peeta-Katniss combination also. The boy with the bread. Hep hep Hurray!

Julie OMG JOYZI YOU'RE review is AWESOME, it's more like a diary lol! very detailed account of your reading. I can't help but laugh with most of the things you've put in your review.
I'm a finnickxannie fan too, and I was really sad that he died and he didn't even had the chance to meet his new born son T.T including Prim's death, idk, I was really affected maybe because i have a sister too and my god i don't wanna think about morbid things >.<

yes, I can't stand gale leaving Katniss (for good?) i don't understand 'coz he was her best friend and that's it?!
although yeah! i never thought about it,like he was guilty of Prim's death, you have a good point there.
love your choices of quotes, except for "Peeta and I had adjoining cells in the capitol. We're very familiar with each other's screams." -'coz i can't recall where this one is haha awful reader :D

oh! love that too when Katniss reminded Peeta of his habits! T.T me too, i hate gale, so war-freak, he should've been named nuts, since the original bearer of the name's already dead >:))

haha, great review! you truly are the no. 1 Suzanne Collins fan

Joyzi Thanks Julie parang tumaba ang puso ko (joke) pero feeling ko di naman ako ang truly no.1 Suzanne Collins fan at di ko pa nababasa yung isa pa nyang series na Gregor The Overlander, this one was for children mala Harry Potter daw e pero may pagka Alice in Wonderland, siguro pag nabasa ko na yun undoubtedly ako na ang no.1 fan niya^^

Joyzi Julie I forgot to state that the quote was said by Joanna she's one of the tribute that got captured together with Peeta

Julie soon you'll be, I'm sure of that ^^ haha, wala na! ikaw na nga talaga ang no. 1! your review says it all na. wow, mukhang maganda nga yang Gregor na yan, cge I'll wait for review na lang kasi mabagal akong magbasa ng books haha

ay ganun ba lol, nakalimot nako. yun ba yung shaved headed nung na rescue, nag-cut ng arms ni katniss? ^^ thanks joyzi haha

Joyzi oo siya nga yun from District 8 ata siya

sige kaso I can't find those Gregor books anywhere^^

Julie thanks Joyzi, haha that proves it na avid fan ka ng THG! ^^ all in good time, baka makakita karin after new year :D

Joyzi Oo nga parang di kasi siya ganun kapopular, I only know them after reading The Hunger Games Series but the Gregor Series was written even before THG series.

Pag tumitingin naman ako sa NBS all I see was those Rick Riordan's books and the Diary of a Wimpy kid sa children's lit

Julie haha, baka kasi yung mall na napupuntahan mo eh one of the famous destinations para sa mga shoppers, baka dito sa sm pampanga eh meron nyang gregor series ^^ one time kasi nagpunta dito gf ng kuya ko then nag NBS sila tas sabi nya maganda daw mamili ng books sm pampanga kasi old and new maraming mapagpipilian. napansin ko din, siguro madaling maubos mga books sa manila kaya ganun. cge, once na makapunta ako NBS samen i'll look kung meron gregor series ^^

oo nga pala, i saw your post sa xmas party TFG magpopost sana ako for moa to sm north kaso may sundo kana pala :D malapit lang kasi kame sa moa and last 2 weeks eh sakto nagvisit kami sa trinoma kaya ayun. pero good thing may kasabay kana! lols, i'm so bothered kasi naaalala ko sarili ko sayo ganyan din ako, super kaba kapagka magbabyahe. pero sabi nga nila lakasan ng loob pero my God! easy for them to say >:))

Joyzi Oo nga punta ka ba xmas party? Lol takot talaga ako magbiyahe buti na lang me kasama na ko si Ruby^^

Julie hindi eh, may reunion that time samin, nung time na nagmember ako nakita ko na na 18 yung date ng meet-up sayang super gusto ko pa naman pumunta :( pero next time na magkaroon pupunta na talaga ako. kasi dito na muna ako sa pampanga pero next year magwo-work nako kayo major stay na talaga ako dun ^^

oo nga buti nag-offer sya kung di baka mag-alala pa nanay mo lol. hysterical kasi nanay ko pag nagbabyahe ako mag-isa haha XD

Joyzi Oo nga e nung nagtatanong nga ko ke mama ng instructions tanung siya ng tanung para san daw ba yun, sabi ko wala me nagtatanong lang na classmate, ayaw din kasi nun na gumagala ako...

Sayang naman parang gusto kita mameet e, I'm not stalker or anything ha lol

Julie haha, o see. good thing i am not the only one XD

anu ba?! i want to meet you toooooo!!! haha, sana magka meet up soon after this one tas mag-book exchange tayo <3 lol

Joyzi Oo sige gusto ko ipamigay yung mga books na di ko naman nagustuhan tapos papalit ng ibang books^^

Sana nga may next meet-up^^

Julie sure joyzi! that'll be AWESOME :D haha
may tanung ako, yung VA ba may series sya? ^^

Joyzi Oo julie eto ang pagkakasunud-sunod

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

total of 6 books, grabe the series rocks! I recommend this one talaga, I love Christian, Adrian, Lissa and Rose, hate ko lang dito si Dimitri

Julie oo ang dami nyong cravers sa series na yan, i'm feeling left out na tuloy T.T haha, i've heard this will become a movie too. i want to ask kung meron bang series live nito? or just a book?

message 31: by Joyzi (last edited Dec 15, 2010 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyzi Just a book, yeah I think this one will be a movie too^^, yeah you should read this one too, its definitely worth it

Julie sure thing! haha i'm saying exactly what i said to another friend here in GR, that two of my friends here in GR's recommending me the same book.

I'm talking about Rachel ^^ she's your friend to i think ^^ wow, so happy, i'm getting so crazy of GR na talaga haha

Joyzi Uuum yeah I'm excited I wanna know which team you are...yeah and this one was really good, but the first book was kinda so-so for me but when you've got to read the second one Frostbite you'll get hooked and the ending to that will definitely give you nightmares

Julie NO Joyzi! please no more nightmares for me, I've had enough of twilight :s haha, cge I'll read this then HoN yippee!!!!

i like to read your review of last sacrifice!!! pero no! i musn't! hahah saw kasi Chace my LABS! hahah that's why <3

Joyzi haha sige sige pero yung major spoilers naman di ako naglagay sa review ko ng The Last Sacrifice naglalagay kasi ako ng mga tuuuuuuut pag major spoiler^^

Joyzi Julie iba pa yung House of Night sa Vampire Academy ah lol

Julie hahah, thanks for reminding ^^ tama! haha i bet AWESOMEST na naman yang review mo XD

message 38: by Joyzi (last edited Dec 16, 2010 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyzi sa mga nauna kong series na nabasa wala masyado kwenta pa yung mga review ko e, ngayong year lang kasi nag-evolve yung pag-review ko^^

Julie special ang 2010 mo XD
ako naman special sya dahil sa GR, life-changing tong site na to promise, as in dati di ko dinedevote araw ko sa libro ngayon grabe! haha

Joyzi Ako thankful talaga ako sa site na 'to kasi dito ko nadiscover ang mga books tulad ng Book Thief, The Mortal instruments, Hunger Games, House of Night, Vampire Acedmy, yung Percy Jackson at marami pang iba

Julie wow naman! ako naman mostly ng binasa ko before ako nagjoin personal choice ko like yung twilight, hp, percy, dan brown's, tas grabe! naloka nako nung madami kana nirecommend sakin!!!!!! hahahaha ang saya ko na parang nakakabaliw kasi parang ang DAMI AS IN SUPER DAMI pa palang magagandang books out there XDDD

iba talaga ang site na to, daming books na di mo agad nakikita sa bookstore pero nag-eexist pala. haha, grabe talaga kaya buti nalang i joined hehe :D haha lahat ng nirerecommend mo, so happy kasi maganda nga talaga, parang almost everyone's fave talaga XD

Joyzi Hahahaha oo tama maraming books out there na maganda na di mo pa nadidiscover, maganda ang gawin mo pag pipili ka ng book na bibilhin magbasa ka ng isang 5 star review at isang 1 star review para informed ka kung anu maganda sa book o ano ang pangit^^

Julie wow, a truly remarkable advise from a GR veteran lol XD thanks master hahaha i will do that sometime :)
oo nga no, may similarity din somehow sa babanggitin nila kahit na may gap between 1-5 star sa rating.
more insight pa kasi magkaiba sila ng perspective! wonderful Joyzi ^^ hahaha thanks sooo much!

Joyzi Oo basta ganyan kasi ako e, minsan naman kung favorite ko yung reviewer na yun babasahin ko talaga^^ pero mas maganda talaga pag opposing views ang binasa mo, mind-blowing haha (mind-blowing talaga?)

Julie oh yes naman mind-blowing =)) hahah syempre you'll be torn who to believe lol
sige, I'm gonna try that too ^^ hahah makabasa nga ng 1-2 star rated mo na review tas try ko sa iba na may gusto nung hate mo lol (experiment :D)

Joyzi oo masaya yan hahaha, minsan nga natutuwa ako pag kilala ko na yung reviewer tapos parehas kami ng taste pero one time may book na ayaw niya pero gusto ko

Julie ano naman yung book? hahaha ^^ na curious naman ako, yun yung nakakatuwa at least it means to say na di ka na sway ng words nya.
parang may nabasa ako na yung forest of hands and teeth nagustuhan mo kahit na ayaw sya nung friend mo here in GR? tama ba ^^

Joyzi Oo yun nga yun yung Forest of Hands and Teeth

eto yung review niya oh

Sarah haha kala ko mahaba yung review ko. May mas hahaba pa pala. :)

Agree ako dun sa WTF moments! naiiyak din ako sa mga Peeta moments. Di ko nga alam bkit super affected ako. :D Totoong totoo yung nasa review mu yun din yung na-feel ko. kung pede ko tong i-like nang 10x ginawa ko na. :D

Joyzi Thanks Sarah sobrang in-love talaga ako dito sa Hunger Games e, best series ever talaga to para sa 'kin walang makakatalo!

« previous 1