jo mo's Reviews > Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010, reviews, young-adult, sports, school-life, call-me-crazy, 1-star
Read in April, 2010

i couldn’t have cared less about any of the characters, especially our main character – parker. none of them were likeable, because there was nothing to like. i don’t think courtney summers could have done a better job at that! it probably wasn't even the point, because you were supposed to develop empathy, not sympathsize with her.

parker was nasty and only wallowed in her self-pity.
chris was pathetic,- i have this crazy feeling that when he told parker he loved her, he only meant he loved getting in her pants. he did say he loved her and always would, at one point in the story, but their relationship seemed so ... superficial.
becky was awful, there just is no other word to describe her.
jake, oh jake. he was the lost puppy in this play, he was the one character i maybe even could’ve liked if it weren’t for the fact that he was so bent on getting hurt and impinging on parker’s personal space (stalking her, meddling in stuff he had no business meddling in, in a very annoying way).

way to go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Up to Be.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brittni Not everyone in life is likeable, so it's silly to expect that characters in books should always be likeable.

You realize what a mental illness is, right? Guess to you, depression is just "wallowing in self-pity".

What possessed you to read the book in the first place?

message 2: by jo (last edited Aug 03, 2011 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo Brittni wrote: "Not everyone in life is likeable, so it's silly to expect that characters in books should always be likeable.

change in genres.

even before she "wallowed in self-pity" she was a bitch.
what you see in her is your business slash opinion. i'm entitled to have an opinion too. so you might want to stay away, if you don't like what i have to stay.

Helena I have to agree with Brittni that I think Courtney Summers wrote Parker to be a bitch because there are an incredible number of people who are actually like that, especially if American High School programmes portray the experience correctly. I think I liked Parker because of it more, because it gave me insight into the minds of people like that (I consider myself pretty unbitchy). Also, everybody has flaws and I think too many writers skirt over those flaws in their own characters, so it was nice to see Summers really hone in on her bitchiness.
Also, I think if you look hard enough you'll see that Parker's bitchiness notably changes between her self-destruct mode and beforehand.
Maybe you could read it again because you might find you like it a second time round, when Parker's hard-to-relate-to character is less of a shock :)

message 4: by jo (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo you might be right about that.

like i said:
i did develop empathy, just did not sympathsize with her. at all. and i don't think that's what the author aimed for anyway. i understand that people like this book, but for me? not my cup of tea. although i did like summer's other book some girls are.

Helena Yeah :)

message 6: by jo (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo Helena wrote: "Yeah :)
I have to say I really enjoyed Fall for Anything by her, and the main character was a little more likeable and able to be sympathised with (y)"

haven't read fall for anything yet, but truer than true for some girls are in any case.

Casey It's realistic because the characters aren't always likable, just like people aren't always likable. Especially for the age bracket that the characters are. I can understand if you want to root for a heroine why this didn't appeal to you, Parker is not a great person. But I thought it was a great story:)