Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Island Beneath the Sea

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende

Feb 11, 14

bookshelves: historical-fiction, 2010-release, library, dnf

A DNF for me. I just can't stand Allende's writing style. She tells, tells, tells the entire story. I never feel as tho I am there. Pages and pages go by with no conversation between the characters at all. It's all past tense, third person and very unpersonal. Most people love it tho.

I DID like the narratives by Zarite.. If the whole book was told from her POV, I would have finished and probably loved it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island Beneath the Sea.

02/11/2014 marked as: dnf

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I've tried only one Allende book and I got bogged down in it too. I may have to give her another try at some point thought because like you said, most people love her writing.

message 2: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt This is my second attempt so no more.. I suspected I wouldn't like it, but the subject matter really intrigued me this time.. I got it at the library just to be safe. I can't stand her style. I just can't.

message 3: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* i've found that allende's books are not nearly as flowing in translation. it's not that the translations themselves are bad, but more that the magical realism and narrative style just feel right in spanish. that doesn't mean i really like them, but there is a lack of the cultural context once they're in english.
i'm going to try her YA novel soon -- "city of the beasts" -- it may be significantly different than her other offerings. i'll let you know if i think so. :)

message 4: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I never thought of that.. that something is getting lost in translation. Good point.