Kristine's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Apr 17, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from April 03 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

"One last thing before I go...I heard about a book called "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay...who gave that guy the copyright to Jane Austen's book? I mean, seriously? THAT's what you're going to do with a classic like P&P? Write brain-hungry zombies into it? THAT is an atrocity if I have ever heard of one!"

This is a direct quote from my blog when I first heard about this book. I mean, I was angry and insulted. The disrespect! The absurdity! The downright desecration! As a lover of the original Pride and Prejudice and of Jane Austen's general greatness it just struck me as an attempt to make his name as an author, riding on Austen's coattails! Now, before anyone starts in on me on how Grahame-Smith was actually a published author before this book, let me say that I know he was. BUT he was no where near as popular, to say nothing about this book's putting him on the New York Times bestseller list. When I finally got over my initial hang-ups and decided to give it a try I bought the book in September of last year. It sat and collected dust along with several other books that were rapidly making up my "I can't believe I've bought so many books-I need to stop-Someone please take away my debit card, otherwise I will go broke" pile. When I finally sat down to read it in April.....

WOW!

I honestly wish I could go back to last July or August, when I wrote that blog post and SLAP myself in the face. I've heard so many people say that it's a simple read, that it doesn't challenge you, and that you don't learn anything. I have this to say to those people: PPPPPPTTTHHHHHH! (that was a raspberry, in case it didn't translate!) I don't think it's true that the book is pointless. If you MUST find deeper meaning than Elizabeth Bennet being a total bad-a**, here's what you will find. Like Austen's commentary on the ridiculousness of worrying so much about marriage for money over happiness (as embodied in Mrs. Bennet), here it is made even more ridiculous by the fact that while zombies are running amok, this woman can only think of who her daughters will marry and how much he earns a year!

If you just want a fun book to read, this is the way to go. This book was a joy to read. I couldn't put it down. It was wonderfully entertaining. I found myself go from chuckling quietly to downright laughing and running to tell my sister what Elizabeth said or did this time. It was light and fun. I loved every single moment of it. When I first opened it, I also found that, JOY OF JOYS, it has illustrations!

The next few sentences are a bit on the spoiler side so if you don't want to know anything about the book as far as plot goes, don't keep reading! It seemed to me that Grahame-Smith had some serious bones to pick with Austen's version. I'll admit that Lydia's happily ever after (or so she thinks) never really sat well with me, either. But I can only complain about how much I hate her as a character. Grahame-Smith actually paid her back what she deserved by giving her a lame husband who often soiled himself, leaving her to clean after him for the rest of her life. KUDOS Mr. Grahame-Smith! I couldn't have thought up a better ending myself. What I found shocking was the way Mr. Collins and Charlotte's story ended. Don't get me wrong, I loved the premise of Charlotte being stricken. I honestly did not expect that, but what happened with Mr. Collins was just insane. Like I said, I feel the author really had some fun with the characters he did not like in the original.

In summation, this book was fantastic! I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone who really enjoys fun and entertaining books. My best friend did not like Pride and Prejudice. She could not get past the third chapter, but I gave her this spin on it and she is loving it so far. Within a day she was just shy of 100 pages into it. The one warning I will give is if you have a weak stomach, I'd say approach with caution. It does get on the disgusting side from time to time, but otherwise, this book definitely made it into my favorites!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

04/03/2010 page 38
11.91% "It's kind of teetering between genius and meh right now...we shall see."
04/04/2010 page 83
26.02% "It crossed the line from meh to really good. The illustrations are too gory and creepy though!"
04/04/2010 page 100
31.35% "Really good so far!"
04/07/2010 page 155
48.59% "It's hard to NOT love Mr. Darcy! Even in this gory a story. I love it so far. It's funny and entertaining!"
04/09/2010 page 248
77.74% "I'll be done by tomorrow. I love it! It's hilariously entertaining!"
04/11/2010 page 283
88.71% "A little more than thirty pages to go. I so love this book so far!!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan totally agree! *High five* So how did you like the illustrations?

Kristine *high five right back* I thought the illustrations were fantastic! I must admit that I did a lot of my reading of this book at night and was more than a little creeped out by how real the zombies looked! (as real as zombies CAN look. Lol). My favorite ones were the pictures of them fighting the unmentionables. Elizabeth was just amazing!!

Megan Awesome!