Andy Miller's Reviews > True Compass: A Memoir

True Compass by Edward M. Kennedy

Nov 25, 12

Read in April, 2010

Ted Kennedy wrote this after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, in fact the first chapter describes the day of his seizure and the events after that.

I am an admirer of Ted Kennedy, despite his personal flaws, some of which he acknowledges in his book. You can tell that Ted Kennedy truly likes people which sets him apart from many liberals(and I consider myself a liberal) who can be condescending and patronizing to people. And Kennedy had a reputation for liking and working with people he did not agree with.

I especially enjoyed the chapters of his growing up and his family life, the "Kennedy" history focuses on JFK and RFK and even more on Joe Jr than Ted. He grew up at a different time than them and had different experiences.
He does address Chappaquidic with at least some candor but his account is at best incomplete and at worst dishonest. I think he does a better job discussing his first marriage.
In addition to enjoying reading his memories of growing up, I loved reading his perspective on the political and legislative battles during his career. I share his political views but I think even those who do not agree with him politically would come to respect his effectiveness in fighting for what he believed in and his ability to work and respect with those who opposed him
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Compass.