LeeAnn Heringer's Reviews > My Name is Red

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

F_50x66
May 27, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009, nobel-prize-winners, 20th-century, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

Somewhere in the 16th and 17th centuries, western society made the transition between the medieval mindset where it's all about how God or the king or the chieftain sees the world to the renaissance where man begins to perceive of himself as an individual. And ground zero for this were the renaissance artists and how art changed, the jump-cut from Giotto to Michelangelo. This book does an excellent job of expressing the tension in Turkey that was an eastern society bordering the west and how the success of renaissance art would have impacted the art and society of the Ottoman empire. Even in the telling of their story, it's done as a Greek choir of voices, but everyone is expressing it as an individual, from their perspective on the ground and defending their justifications for their actions. It is no coincidence that every chapter title contains the word, "I".

It's a good story, a murder mystery, with settings and place and dynamics between the characters that were really fresh and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Red.