Abby's Reviews > Wish

Wish by Alexandra Bullen

Apr 03, 10

bookshelves: teen, the-afterlife, romantic
Read in February, 2010

Picked this up because it was the focus of a recent New Yorker article on teen lit & Alloy Entertainment in particular. Alloy is the group that publishes Gossip Girl, The Clique, The A-List and other teen mean girl series. Although they only list one person's name as the author, most of these books are written by a committe of Alloy editors, and the publisher, not the author, retains the intellectual property rights to the work. In the New Yorker article, Alloy editors talk about how they hope Wish will become the next Twilight.

Well, it is certainly no Twilight (and I am hardly a Twi-hard). Bullen's writing is possibly even more stilted and cliche-ridden than Meyer's. And the main character, Olivia, is possibly the most insipid female character I have ever met in a teen novel -- she drifts through the entire novel unable to articulate one interesting or original thought, and is so socially helpless that her dead twin sister, Violet (resurrected as a ghost thanks to a wish and a magic dress), has to coach her on practically every single interaction with her peers. If Olivia had an robust interior life, or some modicum of personality or spark, her social awkwardness would be a charming quirk. But we are talking about a girl so fragile that she refers to her quilted flats as "armor she'd feel naked without" during an uncomfortable interaction with a male friend. Ballet flats as armor? I do not understand. Do not waste your time with this book like I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wish.