Mel's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: historical
Read from June 07 to 18, 2010

Secrets of a summer night is the first in the Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas.
This book told me:
1) much about the peerage: and how the upper ranks of British nobility were organized
2) that historical romance is not really my thing.

The thing is: I like my romance with an edge (JR Ward) or with lots of humor (Kresley Cole) and with this book I had to plow through quite a lot of flowery speech, much ado about nothing and blushing over exposed ankles and the likes.
My lack of patience might have been due to the fact that I had been reading Kresley Cole and two m/m stories simultaneously with this story, but all in all I think historical romances are just a bit too saccharine for my taste.

Don’t get me wrong, this book was not bad at all. The story about upper-class girl Annabelle Peyton finding love with the rich commoner Simon Hunt was engaging, sweet and quite sexy too. And the bantering by the Wallflowers (especially Lillian’s comments) gave the story a little bit of a bite and lifted it above the level of a ‘typical romance’ . But it just wasn’t for me. Although I must admit I might pick up Evie’s book if I happen to stumble upon it….

3,5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Ooh. I love this book. Simon is very sexy!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I saw you were member of the 'We love Lisa Kleypas' group and I was curious about her books. I suspect she writes 'regular romance' which might not be really my thing, but I saw the book for 2 euros so how could I not give it a try?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Lisa Kleypas is one of the best, when it comes to writing romance. I look forward to seeing what you think of the book.

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'll keep you updated :)

Meredith Barrons I haven't read any of her books yet and I am curious! Let me know if you like it!

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Mrs Barrons! I'm sure you'll be happy to learn that I received my copy of Darkfever today. I shall start on it real soon.

As for Lisa Kleypas: the book is entertaining. But it's very Pride and Prejudice. A lot of 'flowery speech' and blushing over exposed ankles, etc.
I had read If You Dare by Kresley Cole and some m/m ebooks before this one so the contrast is very big.
That being said, it's still entertaining. I'm almost till 3/4 now. I've turned into the world's slowest reader nowadays...

message 7: by Matthew (last edited Jun 11, 2010 03:53PM) (new)

Matthew Its been on my toreads for a large ammount of time. You must tell me if it is shitty or not...I have other series I am reading not sure if I should bother...expossed ankle? Like tripped and heart it for no other reason then being a clutse klutz....there me go? mygodidonknowhowtospellfuckdictionaries

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Lisa Kleypas, crappy???? Never in a million, trillion years!!!!

Mahyar I just finished this last night. It's really, really good.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Well I can give her a shot then.

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew hmm I should look it up mel but 2 euros vs american dollars? Its only 6$ here so I might as well try it.

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Matthew, don't they teach you how to spell in Canada? ;)
The book is quite entertaining but like I said: it's very P&P, I'm not sure you'd like it. There is some very witty bantering though and for me that compensates for the ankle-blushing and all that.
I still haven't finished the book. I keep forgetting it at my sister's place. The first opportunity to be there will be on Wednesday and I'm so bummed out cause the h/h were just getting it on!

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Spelling in Cada? wups lol Canada! Lol I am going to skip the ankle blushing. lol. nvm. Just getting ON!. . . . . ....... well fuck. I am reading Jean johnson right now its alright its very contemporary for a paranormal, but I like it, but if people blush from looking at eachothers ankles No can dooooooooo

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Hmmm, I'm seeing a challenge here! I say: Matthew: just try the book anyway. You've got to read a variety of stuff right? So just read it, see how you like it. Also: blushing over exposed ankles makes all the other nudity (not to mention sexual acts) seem all the more exciting.

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user Mel, this is one of Kleypas' much lighter series. Maybe you'd like one of her edgier ones, where the hero and conflict's darker? You might want to read Worth Any Price.

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Thanks n_u!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user Np. :)

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew ANKLE BLUSHING LOL. Ill only buy a damn ankle blushing book if its one on for 6.99! or less. students tend to be broke just glad I don't smoke or id be fucked.

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Very good Matthew, thank you for not smoking and say no to drugs!

Still: try the book. You like Sherillyn Kenyon so you can take a lot I imagine ;)

message 20: by Matthew (new)

Matthew hmmm I will. Your welcome... if everyone thanked me I would feel very loved... for just doing the healthy thing.

message 21: by Mel (last edited Jun 18, 2010 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Finished it! It was quite okay but I've found out historical romances are not really my thing.

Still: it was an okay book. The only thing that bothered me (besides it being a bit too saccharine for my taste) was the POV narrating. I’m still not quite sure if there is a general narrator’s voice favoring one character in a certain situation, or if we’re completely seeing things from the POV of one character. There was some clear shifting from Annabelle to Simon at certain points. But it struck me as odd that Annabelle (in her POV sections) describes her own 'soft lips' and 'slim waist' and 'silky hair'...

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I really like Lisa Kleypas' books, but with all genre reads, you have to be in the mood.

I hope you won't give up on her, Mel. Maybe when you're in the mood for a lighter read, pick up another. I felt like Again The Magic was a deeper read, and it's the prequel to the Wallflowers.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Definitely read Evie's book. I dare you to not love St. Vincent! :)

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I added it UM. And I will definitely try Evie's book (if I find it on sale like I did this one) because I heard that one was much darker too and the reviews are raving. And I was intriguid by smart Evie.

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL Danielle, deal!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I might also add, if you like deeper, angstier reads, check out Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell and Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase. Those are both on my keeper list and have horribly tormented heroes who were abused/neglected as children. The females in both stories are very strong as well.

message 27: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I already had added Lord of the Scoundrels. Everybody tells me it's a must read. I added the Anna Campbell book to. Let's see if those books can ease my dislike/reluctante of historical romances.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I'd love to hear what you think of them. I know they are favorites of Danielle's, too. As a matter of fact, I think it was she who convinced me to read them.

message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I hope I love the books as much as you did. I'll keep you updated!
Meanwhile (something completely different) you have to read the PsyCop series by Jordan Castillo Price. It's wonderful!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Everyone raves about that series, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm on a historical romance binge these days, and not much on the PNR stuff. If I could find it cheap enough, I might give it a try.

The Holy Terror Great review! I have a feeling I'm going to have the same reaction as you. I've come to realize that traditional HR probably isn't for me ...

message 32: by new_user (last edited Jun 18, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

new_user I think if you'd like to try another Kleypas historical, you should skip the Wallflowers altogether and try the Bow Street Runners or Sherry Thomas.

message 33: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jun 18, 2010 03:01PM) (new) - added it

The Holy Terror Lol, I'm assuming you're talking to Mel, and not me.

Stay away from Sherry Thomas, Mel!

[image error]

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Shannon. Yes, I was talking to Mel, you. ;P LOL. She likes more ambiguous heroes than you though, I think. I could be mistaken.

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Thanks Shannon! I also don't think you'll really like this one. Maybe you should start with the third one in the series, Devil in Winter. It's the best one in the series according to many people and much darker and more sizzling than usual.
I also think you'd like the MacCarrick brothers-series (historical romance by Kresley Cole). The first book wasn't a favorite for many but I actually really liked it. The second and third apparently only get better, so I can't wait. And really: who can do brooding, overbearing alpha males better than Cole?

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Everyone raves about that series, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm on a historical romance binge these days, and not much on the PNR stuff. If I could find it cheap enough, I might give it a try."

Well... technically the PsyCop series isn't PNR, it's UF, so you might want to make an exception? ;)
It's only $3,99 at jcpbooks.com.

The Holy Terror I've heard Devil in Winter is good, but I can't read things out of order! My OCD won't let me. I own Secrets of a Summer Night though, and I plan on reading it eventually. You didn't hate it, so I probably won't either, but I can't imagine it's going to blow me away like how fans of hers describe.

I've thought about trying Cole's HRs, but I just haven't gotten to them yet. I love her writing so I'll probably enjoy them, at least more than most other HRs.

message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL I missed alot (my parents' computer is so slow I seriously think of taking up knitting just to get through the time it takes to load pages).

Hmmm, I'm putting Sherry Tomas on my 'not sure about it' shelf and Bow Street Runners on my to be read shelf. How's that? :)

The Holy Terror Mel wrote: "Hmmm, I'm putting Sherry Tomas on my 'not sure about it' shelf"

Lol, NU is going to throw rocks at me.

message 40: by Mel (last edited Jun 18, 2010 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel No need. N_U's review of Private Arrangements was so raving and heartfelt that I couldn't bear to put it on my 'not sure' shelf. It's on my TBR pile now :)

message 41: by new_user (new)

new_user Sounds good, Mel. :) The Runners are quite broody, LOL.

The Holy Terror Mel wrote: "No need. N_U's review of Private Arrangements was so raving and heartfelt that I couldn't bear to put it on my 'not sure' shelf. It's on my TBR pile now :)"

Aww, my review of His at Night wasn't raving and heartfelt?

Smiley

message 43: by new_user (last edited Jun 18, 2010 03:26PM) (new)

new_user D'oh! I'm behind in the comments! Thanks, Mel. Btw, I thought Not Quite a Husband was an improved Private Arrangements, if that makes a difference. ;)

The Holy Terror new_user wrote: "D'oh! I'm behind in the comments!"

Yeah, the site's being weird today. I don't think I've been getting all my emails for updates either.

message 45: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Shannon wrote: "And as much as I love JM & Xhex, Qhuay stole the show for me. :) ..."

message 46: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jun 18, 2010 04:05PM) (new) - added it

The Holy Terror Mel wrote: "Shannon wrote: "And as much as I love JM & Xhex, Qhuay stole the show for me. :) ..."

I had only read the review for PA, but now that I've read yours: very heartfelt indeed! LOL. Loved it."

Lol, thanks!

(But where did that quote come from? Lol. Because I didn't write that.)

message 47: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh God, I had just copy pasted Laura's comment and apparently pasted the wrong part. I was up too late I guess... ;)

message 48: by ~♥*Marianna*♥~ (last edited Jul 28, 2010 09:22PM) (new)

~♥*Marianna*♥~ (what stays is dry bones) "Although I must admit I might pick up Evie’s book if I happen to stumble upon it…. "
Why Evie? I just finished her book and i didn't find anything particularly special about her.
I would think you would like Lillian more.(Although I don't know her very well yet. I haven't read her book)
She seems quite spunky and amusing.

message 49: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, yeah, everyone likes the other ones better.

message 50: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Not because I liked Evie so much but because I heard her book was the best of the bunch. And a little bit darker. So I was thinking it was less saccharine than the other books. And I like it so far.
Although really: Sebastian is described as gentle and tender and sweet so many times, that I still wonder why she believes him when he declares he's not interested in being a good husband for her. So far, he has done everything right.

« previous 1