Daniel's Reviews > Spinning the Globe: The Rise, Fall, and Return to Greatness of the Harlem Globetrotters

Spinning the Globe by Ben Green

Nov 28, 07

bookshelves: biography, non-fiction
Read in September, 2005

This history/biography of the Harlem Globetrotters and their more famous players, seems to be very well researched and quite thorough. What's more, Ben Green has managed to keep it exciting. We re-live each of their most important games with nail-biting excitement.

As a white male who grew up in the 1960's, my impression of the Globetrotters was that they were a comedy team that played basketball. What I learned was that they were truly the world's best basketball team that began incorporating comedy routines. Their popularity was such that they often played on a double bill with pro teams to draw crowds to the pro (white) games. The Globetrotters very likely saved basketball as we know it from fading away due to lack of interest.

I was also surprised to learn that Meadowlark Lemon was not thought of very highly by his fellow players. He was not considered a "team" player, was NOT a good basketball player, and his comedy routines were very carefully rehearsed, rather than coming spur of the moment as they did with the great Goose Tatum.

An excellent read. I only wish that this uncorrected proof that I read had photos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinning the Globe.