Mandy Moody's Reviews > Found

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: fanstasy, science-fiction, young-adult
Read in April, 2010

My 7 year old daughter picked this out of a book fair catalog. She wanted me to buy it, but I wasn't sure it would really hold her attention, as it's a true Young Adult Novel, recommended for kids 8-12 and she's only 7. I checked it out from the library for her, instead.
I was wrong - it definitely held her attentions. She devoured all 307 pages over just 2 days, giving me constant status updates throughout.
I was intrigued by the premise of this book, so when she finished I asked her to hand it over, intending to read the book jacket summary. Instead, I spent my Friday night reading the whole thing.
I enjoyed it immensely. The writing was competent, the plot was intriguing, the characters were realistic. Overall, it was an excellent novel.
Jonah was adopted as a baby, a Christmas miracle his loving parents have never stopped thanking God for - or telling Jonah about! One year later they had their own biological child, a sister for Jonah named Katherine. Jonah is now 13, Katherine 12, and they live a happy, normal life.
One day Jonah receives a mysterious letter in the mail, with only a few typed words on the paper - "You are one of the Missing."
He is unnerved, but laughs it off as a 7th grade prank.
Of course, it's not. Before long Jonah, Katherine and Jonah's new friend, Chip (who has just moved in down the street and who also happens to be adopted) are involved in an exciting adventure - a race to discover the secrets of 36 adoption and to repair the fabric of time itself.
Haddix does an amazing job of bringing some very adult concepts to children, describing them in ways that are easy to understand and fun to read about. She is an author we will definitely be reading more of in the future!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Found.