Mari - loves to read's Reviews > Rising Shadow

A sneak peak into Rising Shadow's dramatic beginning:
'New Year's Eve
Approach to the Golden Gate Bridge
Marin County, California

Suddenly, the road ahead of us was a mosaic of red brake lights, and traffic slowed to a stop. “What is this?” Rebecca shrieked as she hit the brakes.'

I really need to learn to never judge a book by it's cover(but that's really difficult). The cover on Rising Shadow really didn't pique my interest but I liked the blurb so when I saw that International Book Tours where hosting a tour I decided that I wanted to read the book.

The book arrived in my mailbox on Wednesday last and I started reading it immediately. I knew I was in for a great action adventure when the main character took off flying on the books first page!

My thoughts:
With the Soterian legend(based on the ancient Greek goddess Soteria) Jacquelyn Wheeler has written a brillian start to a new series, there will be five books in total. The story about Ashlyn and her fellow Soterians is unique in the young adult category, which right now is mostly all about vampires, werewolves and angels. Not that I complain about the latter but it is very refreshing to read a book with a supernatural theme without the usual creatures.

Rising Shadow is very much a story driven by it's fast paced plot but I don't think there's much weakness to the characters for it. I felt I connected with, Ashlyn, she was a protagonist to my liking. It's wonderful to read a book where the main character has a rather large dash of common sense. There seems to be a whole bunch of characters out there who rushes head first into dangerous situations without bothering, at all, to use there brain.

The evil in this book is brought on by an election. In my opinion that was a really clever twist and one I've never seen before in this genre. Perhaps Jacquelyn's novel will get young people to take more interest in politics? If so that's great, that being said you don't have to be into politics to read and enjoy this book.

Conclusion: Rising Shadow was a fast packed, action packed YA fantasy which was really hard to put down. If I had the time this was the kind of book I would have devoured in one sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rising Shadow.

04/03/2010 page 234
70.48% "I'm really enjoying this book. Cannot believe that it hasn't gotten more buzz around the blogsphere."
04/03/2010 page 378
100% "I absolutely recommend this YA fantasy!" 1 comment

Jennifer I agree, I loved LOVED it - I am having a contest to win a signed copy of Merger now on my blog - which I liked as well! :)