Shawna's Reviews > Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord by Sarah MacLean

Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, author-sarah-maclean, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, kindle, archaeology-antiquities-scholar, hero-gentleman, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, heroine-disguises-as-a-man, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, 2010-reads, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-darcy-paragon-haughty-staid, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-or-heroine-exotic, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-i-adore, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, made-me-cry, married-couples-married-convenience, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, satisfying-secondary-romance, series-love-by-numbers-scoundrels, 4-to-5-stars, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue
Recommended for: Fans of steamy, fun historical romance
Read on October 29, 2010

4 ½ stars – Historical Romance

I'm feeling lazy about writing a full review, so I'll keep this somewhat brief. I absolutely adored Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, and I've been anxiously awaiting this second book by MacLean. Did it wow me? Yes and no. In all fairness, this had a lot to live up to because Nine Rules...Rake was just so damn much fun and sexy, with lovable heroine Callie and yummy as all get out hero Gabriel.

Ten Ways...Lord is fun and passionate with a great story. I loved Minerva house and it's strong, quirky female inhabitants and the secondary romance between hero Nick's companion, the formidable yet kind Turk called Rock, and heroine Isabel's cousin, Lara. But it took me a while to warm up to the romance between Nick and Isabel (although it's plenty hot!) because I just didn't feel that strong of a connection between them at first.

I really admired Isabel and respected her independence and fortitude, but she was also exasperating and there were times that I just wanted to smack or shake her. Nick had much more patience with Isabel than I would have, choosing to kiss and pleasure her witless instead of shaking her (lucky girl). But fortunately Isabel wises up, and the ending is extremely sweet and satisfying and left a big fat happy smile on my face.

So although not quite as great as it's wonderful predecessor, Ten Ways...Lord is still an entertaining romance with intriguing characters, witty dialogue, and steamy love scenes. I'm really looking forward to Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart, which I'm hoping is the pompous Duke of Leighton's story. 4 ½ stars!

40 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord.

10/29/2010
65.0% "Isabel is equal parts admirable and exasperating." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by May (new) - rated it 3 stars

May I'm reading this too... Too early to say if I love it, but intrigued...

Shawna I didn't love it nearly as much as "Nine Rules...Rake", but I really enjoyed it.

Lisa Hoping to finish this one tonight! Enjoying it very much but like you said..not loving it as much as the previous. Still worth the wait for it though. Just finished the roof scene :) Now...if I can stay awake as my sons woke me up at 430 AM....ugh...sigh lol

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Nice review Shawna! I really must get going on the 1st book. So many books, so little time ...

Diana~ Lovely review as always! And I totally agree with you. As much as I liked Ten Ways... I loved Nine Rules much more. The romance was okay, even though there were many steamy moments, you weren't able to feel the connection between the characters until much later on-- if that made any sense.

But in a sense, this book gave us an introduction to Simon, the Duke of Leighton. :D He's one interesting character indeed, lol.

message 6: by Rane (new)

Rane Wonderful Review Shawna! Although it didn't live up to Nine Rules, am happy to hear it's still a great read!

Laura the Highland Hussy fab review! I agree with you about the secondary romance! I forgot to put it in my review-but I thought it was sweet :)
And you're right-Ten Ways.. has a lot to live up to by following Nine Rules..

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Great review. Im so excited to read this!

Shawna Thanks, ladies!

Scully - Nine Rules is great and I think you'd enjoy it, but I understand about too many books, too little time. :)

Diana wrote: "you weren't able to feel the connection between the characters until much later on-- if that made any sense."

That's exactly what I thought, too. I felt the connection between the H/h a little bit later than usual, but I really loved the ending.

Overall it's a great read, just not as splendid as Nine Rules. I think the Duke of Leighton's book is going to be really good. I'm hoping he's paired with Juliana, but I guess we'll see.

Cheryl Great review.. even if you thought it was brief (which is was not!)! I can't wait to read this one!

Shawna Thanks, Cheryl! I ended up writing more than I thought I would. :)

message 12: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana Great review! I thought the length was just right :-) (coming from someone who has no self-editing skills and cannot help but write a practically-novel-length review).

Shawna Thanks, Juliana! :)

message 14: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Great review, Shawna. I keep hearing that this book isn't up to par with the 1st one, so I hope to enjoy it better than everyone else when I get to it. Sometimes lower expectations lead to nice surprises. :)

message 15: by Shawna (last edited Nov 05, 2010 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Dina! It's still a great, fun read, even though not quite as fabulous as Nine Rules.

Auntee Ooh, we felt the same!:)
Okay, maybe I liked it a little more than you, but I was slow to warm up to it too. I think it had a lot to live up to because Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake grabbed me right away and this one had a slower build up. And I wanted to shake Isabel a time or two also! That scene when Nick overheard her talking about him...I wanted to slap her!:D

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee, you and Shawna are still on the same page - as usual. Notice that she put this book on the "heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap" shelf, LOL.

Shawna LOL! She's on both my 'heroine-i-adore' and 'heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap' shelves 'cause I really admired her but she also drove me freakin' crazy at times.

Auntee "...you and Shawna are still on the same page - as usual."

Of course we are! lol!

And I made sure not to read her review until I was done writing mine--I would've been blown away if she cast the same people though!

Shawna Auntee wrote: ""...you and Shawna are still on the same page - as usual."

Of course we are! lol!

'Cause we are separated at birth twins, after all. LOL!

That would be eerie, indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at some point, though.

Auntee That would've been too freaky!!:)

Ronyell Awesome review Shawna!! I agree that I got frustrated with Isabel through most of the book!

Shawna Thanks, Ronyell! I can't wait for the next book...only 10 days away!