Nam's Reviews > Henderson the Rain King

Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow

Apr 02, 10

read count: 1

My rooom-mate gave this edition to me as a gift a few years ago. Just got around recently to reading it. It was much better than I anticipated. Then again, although I haven't read any of Bellows work until now I always knew he was considered a great American author. The central idea that resonated for me was the main characters battle against the eternal "I want, I want, I want..." (pg, 250) The use of an African safari of sorts is an interesting device for his self-discovery. From the minute I began reading I actually believed that Henderson would end up being the new, and unwilling king. I thought the ending, seemingly ending with him "adopting" a young orphan boy, perhaps as the "re-incarnation of his Lion-king friend", unexpected and touching.

One particularly exceptional passage; "All human accomplishment has this same origin, identically. Imagination is a force of nature. Is it not enough to make a person full of ecstasy? Imagination, Imagination, Imagination! It converts to actual. It sustains, it alters, it redeems!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henderson the Rain King.