Rachel Terry's Reviews > The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done

The Myth of Multitasking by Dave Crenshaw

Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: psych
Read in April, 2010

Multitasking is actually "switch tasking" because you can't technically do two things at the same time. When you attempt to multitask, you do things poorly and actually take longer. That's the whole book! I just saved you an hour.

It's a good point, but it could have been deftly handled in a magazine article. There are some copy editing problems.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myth of Multitasking.

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna And he's wrong. Men have a very hard time multi-tasking, therefore they're more likely to switch-task. But everyone multi-tasks all the time. Right now, without thinking about each task individually, I'm typing, creating this post, sitting up straight, breathing, and turning my right ankle in circles. Later today I'll be sitting up, breathing, knitting, watching conference, and eating chocolate, all without thinking about each task individually. Sounds like he's just jealous that some people are better multi-taskers than he is.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Thank you Rachel for saving me the time. I'd like to assign you some other books to read, condense the info and report back.

Rachel Terry For extra credit?

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Yes. You are on the edge of B+/A- so this should put you in solid A territory.

Rachel Terry Whew! I'm cutting it pretty close this semester..

Dave Hi Deanna.

Thanks for your comment.

I invite you and everyone visiting this page to take the multitasking test here:

I never dispute that some people are better multitaskers than others. It's true. However, what that's saying is that they're better at using a less effective way to get things done. It's like saying I'm better at riding my bicycle than you are at driving a car.

It's not an issue of gender, age or career. It's simply math and personal economics.

All the best,

~Dave Crenshaw

message 7: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose thanks Dave for writing, I was debating at reading this book after these comments but the simple fact that the author cares enough to reply (and reply specifically) is great.