Claire's Reviews > The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates

The Other Wes Moore by Wes  Moore

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010
Read on April 11, 2010

This review is based on a set of advance proofs which I won in a Goodreads Giveaway.

The Other Wes Moore is a fascinating look at the lives of two men, both named Wes Moore, both from low-income families, both from un-privileged urban backgrounds. One man sits in prison for life, convicted of participation in a robbery and the murder of a police officer, while the other went on to enjoy every success that a young man can enjoy.

The author, the Wes Moore who went on to become a Rhodes Scholar and White House Fellow, does not pretend to be able to explain the vagaries of life, of these two lives. He seeks the answer to "why" as much as the reader does: why did one Wes succeed where the other did not? Why was one Wes able to move out of the decayed neighborhoods of America's cities while the other could or would not?

Wes Moore has written an excellent book. I recommend it for anyone who wants to be confronted with some of the most challenging questions today in the United States - how can we both help and encourage young people to make good choices, to rise about their circumstances? How can we change institutions to make sure that young people, like the other Wes Moore, don't fall through the cracks?
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Wes Moore.

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason S I think this a great read and definitely inspirational for young men and women of all backgrounds. However, I do have a small issue with how the author tries to make it seem like their paths are seperated by the choices they individually made but their mother's actions had way more of an effect on their futures.

Ashieya O how I agree with Jason S. I would love to see The Other Wes Moore written by the one and only other Wes Moore, the one rotting in jail. Guaranteed, he would make no such accusations...

Paula I had the same thought. Would have been interesting if the "other" Wes wrote it! Or a third party. I loved the book though!!! Think it's a very important read.