Cameron's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Apr 07, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed
Read from April 02 to 07, 2010 — I own a copy

Given many people's natural tendency to complain, I'm slightly disappointed that Broken doesn't give me anything to criticize. Even when I tried (hard) to find something worthy of complaint, I came up short. Slaughter has written a novel that is full of interesting characters and a mystery that kept me guessing the whole way through. I was up until 2 in the morning on more than one occasion because I didn't want to stop reading. Only doing so eventually for fear that I might've drooled on my shiny new book when my body finally forced itself to sleep against my will.

Even though the book is part of a series, the uninitiated (i.e. myself) won't have any trouble following along. Slaughter does a good job weaving each character's traits and back story into the tale. It's a good thing too, as some of the big character moments in the latter part of the book wouldn't be nearly as effective otherwise. And those moments really are effective. Each main character (of which, there are three) has at least one moment in the story that is both special and touching in its own unique way and helps shed more light on who these already fascinating characters are.

The mystery too is quite fascinating. There are twists, turns and revelations aplenty that will keep readers on their toes or on the edge of their seats (Or both. Though I imagine that would be a rather uncomfortable position to read a book in). Part of what really makes the mystery great is that we really care about those who are affected (directly and indirectly) by the killer's actions. We get to see how each character's life and relationships are strained by the events and it gives the reader that much more desire to see the killer brought to justice.

It's rare that I find a book (even one that I would rate 5 stars) that I can't find a legitimate complaint for. Anyone looking for an enjoyable crime novel need look no further. The story's great, the characters are great, the mystery's great. This book is just great. Read it.

*Received via Goodreads First Reads*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.