Tyler Lawrence's Reviews > The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D.C. Pierson

Apr 02, 10

Read in April, 2010

It started with so much promise. In fact, for the first hundred pages or so it was probably the best book I've read in a long time. The author manages to capture the hopeless optimism of high school perfectly, and even the unreal aspects of the characters seem believable and relatable. For those who are relatively familiar with geek culture, the references are often and very funny. However, after the midway point of the book the brilliant characters that I'd loved all seemed to disappear. The action picks up considerably at that point, and the plot spirals further and further from relevence. After the author completely blurs the line between fantasy and reality, the book almost seems indulgent. The actual ending is extremely abrupt and rushed sounding, as if the Pierson had a rapidly approaching deadline to meet. Almost no actual, real resolution is given, and I came away from the end feeling almost cheated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To.