Mariel's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Nov 29, 2010

Recommended to Mariel by: Potter you rotter
Recommended for: Harry is the one I'll marry

I'm not the usual Harry Potter fan, I don't think.

To the well organized mind death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore I don't wanna die! Who cares? My favorite Dumbledore is Aberforth. Y'know, the one who performed an experimental charm on goats and got sent to appear before the ministry for it. Albus isn't even sure he can read, for that matter. I'm more Aberforth on the wisdom scale, fo' sho'. (I once asked JK Rowling what the charm was. She said my guess was as good as hers. She also laughed evilly. I have my answer.) Wake up and smell the flowers? Huh? The goats are eating all the flowers and they sure smell experimental pretty. It wasn't as fun after Order of the Phoenix and the bitching commenced. Yeah, there were problems. But I'm not organized, I don't wanna die, and I never really cared how it ended as much as I cared about focusing on the cool little stuff.

I got into the series after Prisoner of Azkaban came out and before Goblet of Fire. (So it wasn't the movies or that Daniel Radcliffe was -then- Elijah Wood before he was uglier.) What made me want to read them? The Dursleys. I thought they sounded wonderfully delicious (they are hilarious. I love it when Vernon tells everyone that Harry attends "St. Brutus' Center for Incurably Criminal Boys". His Japanese golfer joke. When playing trivia games with friends I'd piss myself with excitement if I got a muggle question. "Vernon's drill company is called Grunnings! Yes! I'm more amazing than all of you put together!" Wonder why no one plays reindeer games with me anymore...) I love muggles.

I loved the stupid shit. No, not the mythology references. Yaaay she read Shakespeare. My Uncle Remus did too. Not even that she listened to The Smiths and The Beatles while coming up with the series (I do love that). I loved the Aberforth goat stuff. I loved the names of Lockhart's books (Gadding with Ghouls, Year with the Yeti, etc.) and the little humor stuff she slips in. I can still quote asshole-y things that Draco Malfoy taunted them with (Potter stinks!) and can't remember the basic plot twists.

I was a card carrying Potterite (laminated!). Sigh. I do miss wondering what was going to happen next. I miss having that place to retreat to in my mind. I'd go on my favorite Harry forum and have fun making up theories (I was right about EVERYYTHING *coughs*). I'm jealous of JK Rowling for having that place in her mind. Yeah, I've got my own stories. But I don't think I have as much fun with mine (probably because I'm not a sadistic murderer like she is).

I liked the books better before they grew up. Rowling couldn't write a love story for anything. I hated it whenever Ron was mad at Harry. My favorite Buffy seasons to watch when depressed are the first three because the core group are still together. I love the togetherness. (Aberforth was eventually important in the last book. That almost ruined it.)

P.s. In case I didn't look dorky enough... I used to get into rabid debates about the English to American changes with the transatlantic fans. They were all like: "Americans are so dumb that you don't understand what Philosopher means." I delivered eighteen shots to their stomach with my comebacks about Lee not being black in their versions, JK Rowlings name being JK in the first place (it doesn't mean Just Kidding. The publishers thought boys wouldn't read a female author), and their effing ugly covers (English kids lose so often. No Edward Gorey for Joan Aiken's books!). I did know that jumper meant sweater. It's not just a Hayden Christensen vehicle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Nick (new) - rated it 1 star

Nick Black a jumper is a sweater?! i thought it was, like, a sunsuit.

Daniel Devereux Maybe it's because I am so bloody tired but I loved your review. It's very awesome, it doesn't make a lick of sense but I love it.

Lauren I was only confused by "pop my clogs" meaning kick the bucket. I really think we deserved more credit for figuring things out.