Linds's Reviews > Brighter Than the Sun

2039534
Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: 1800-s, england, historical-romance, read-in-2010, regency
Read in April, 2010

Do you know the feeling you get when your good married friends are bickering in front of you? It's vaguely uncomfortable, there's no where for you to go, and you wish they would knock it off so everyone can get back to their lives? That's Brighter Than the Sun.

That really is the main reason for me not enjoying this book much. The characters are cute enough, and it has a decent little plot. But listening the the h/h argue incessently for 275+ pages is tiring.

Ellie and Charles meet when Charles falls out of a tree completely faded. Ellie gets him home, they have a nice conversation and even though Charles isn't anywhere near in love with her he likes her and asks her to marry him. (There's a deadline in his father's will that if he is not married in two weeks-his 30th birthday- the fortune reverts to his cousin.)

Ellie is shocked but considers it. She is an old maid that is more or less content living with her father in his parish. She can't stand her father's fiance and thinks marrying a stranger can't be worse than living under the control of that woman.

They marry in the first quarter of the book and preceed to drive each other nuts until the last fifty or so pages. Julia Quinn's strenth as an author is in her banter. This is not banter, it's bickering. Banter is amusing, bickering is annoying. To be fair it has a good twist and an interesting ending, which bumps it up from two stars.

If you have finished Quinn's Bridgerton series and are looking for another good read from her, I would recommend Everything and the Moon. But if you're a Julia Quinn fan like I am you'll read it anyway. We can't help it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brighter Than the Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Great review. I'm not fond of bickering H/h. It reminds me of my parents growing up. :)

Linds I know. I realize that it can be realistic, but it gets old :)