Brenda's Reviews > The Spellmans Strike Again

The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz

Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: bayarea, funny, mystery
Read in April, 2010

I love the Spellmans. Why I can't get more people on board with this series, I don't know....Maybe it is because when I tell people about these books, our main character Izzy doesn't sound too good - immature, interfering, drinks too much, has been arrested and jailed several times, spies on her nearest and dearest, thinks of her romantic interests as "current ex-boyfriends", and her best friend is an octogenarian.

Yet she is oddly endearing. First of all, her and her quirky family members are laugh out loud funny. So is her 80-something year old friend, Morty. They're zany like a screwball comedy. Plus I see something of myself in Izzy Spellman, especially her flaws.

This time around....well, does it matter what is going on with the Spellmans this time around? With these books, where you start often has nothing to do with where you end up. In The Spellmans Strike Again, precociously evil little sister Rae is about to graduate from high school, brother David is dating the ever so normal Maggie, Maggie is putting up with the Spellman family, the parental unit is up to something suspicious, and Izzy is slowly taking over the family’s private investigation business while being blackmailed by her mother.
Just go with it and enjoy the ride.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spellmans Strike Again.