Mariel's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Nov 28, 2007

Recommended to Mariel by: puny punners
Recommended for: mathletes

Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth made me happy. I loved the puns and playfulness. Even a dumb kid like me could appreciate the cool jokes. It's the language of words and numbers in a place that you can actually reach. Not "Learning is fun!" propaganda but "Hurry up, slow poke!" adventure stories in the vein of all the best ones. It's good for you.

I loved that Milo wanted to be away when he was home and away when he was home. No phantom tollbooth ever appeared to take me away (at least that wasn't in this book). I'd probably have gone on the adventure and then pined the rest of my days for another one... I was really good at missing the point of these kinds of stories. Have fun at home? Make friends at home? But I missed *those* friends!

In my lower self-esteem moments I'll still identify with The Terrible Trivium. I'm probably weird...

p.s. They made us watch the cartoon in elementary school. I started my infamous "1970s cartoon walk" in part because of this. Too bad it wasn't actually from the '70s. I suck.

P.s.s. And I never tagged this under "dogs" ("myonlyfriend", duh!). I really do suck. I'm sorry, Tock!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I loooooooooove this book.

Mariel *high fives*

Mara Shaw You aren't alone, Mariel. I related to the Trivium, too!

Mariel Alright, Mara! We are probably more stylish that way. :)

Karenna At least we can be proud that we are self-aware enough to recognize that we are not flawless. Those people are annoying :)
I like Goethe's quote: "I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal."
Some days a bit of Trivium, some days we're the Princesses of Rhyme and Reason :)

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert In the second paragraph you wrote, "that Milo wanted to be away when he was home and away when he was home." Did you mean home when he was away?

Miriam I like your review but don't like that you call yourself dumb :(

Mariel I've made a true effort to not do that anymore (unless I don't catch myself in time. It's harder in speech).

Miriam Good! Good not to do that, or at least try. I think the more you call yourself dumb the more you think of yourself that way. Hopefully the reverse is also true.