J.M.'s Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Apr 02, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, speculative-fiction, keepers
Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I think this is my favorite book in the series so far (I've read the first three). It kept me on the edge of my seat, literally. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning before I closed it for the first time, and by then I had finished the book.

One of the things I like best about this series is how innovative and imaginative it is ~ how Riordan takes modern myths and weaves them seamlessly within the context of the Greek myths. Take the Sea of Monsters, which heroes of old had to pass through to reach the Golden Fleece. In this story, that sea has moved, like everything else, to the West. And where is it? The Bermuda Triangle, of course. I love it!

My only concern is that I'm worried as the series builds up interest (what with future movies and all), it'll begin to attract attention from the same extremists who wanted to ban the Harry Potter books for witchcraft and Satanism. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about people getting upset about these books yet (gods other than "the one true God" of Christianity, promoting promiscuity and sex out of wedlock, etc), but then again I'm late to the series and it hasn't been high on my radar, nor that of mainstream media yet. Don't get me wrong ~ I write gay erotica, so I'm the last person to subscribe to book banning ~ but still I'm worried people may protest the series at a later date.

Regardless, this book is an awesome follow-up to the series. I literally read it in four hours, and couldn't get to sleep without seeing how it ended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

04/02/2010 page 1