Megan's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

May 10, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, werewolves, not-mine-library, vampires
Read from May 06 to 07, 2011

What a cute book and a pleasant surprise! Paranormalcy is a refreshingly well written coming of age story about a sheltered teenage girl who just happens to live in a world filled with vamps, weres and other supernatural beasts. What’s that? You say that sounds just like every other YA book written these days? Well, yeah… but what is so different about this one is main character Evie thinks for herself, solves her own problems and develops a sweet and healthy relationship with a guy who treats her well. Uh-huh, it’s not like other YA novels after all, is it? ;)

Actually, Paranormalcy is very much like other UF/PNR novels these days. I can see a quite a bit of influence from other writers in Kiersten White’s book. Even so, I enjoyed this. A lot. It’s a fast and easy read with lots of action and interesting supernatural creatures.

The only area where the novel suffers is Evie herself. She faces a lot of life changing situations in this story and manages to come out the same optimistic and slightly over-enthusiastic and naive girl in the end that she is in the beginning. We all know that great novels include a little change and a little character growth and while we see Evie change her views of the world, we don’t see that she is much affected by it. Hopefully Evie will mature and grow a little in the books to come.

Of course Paranormalcy is part one of a series. I enjoyed this enough that I am definitely looking forward to Supernaturally (second in the series). However, I’m gonna be a stingy bey-otch with those ratings. Even though I really, really want to give this four stars, it seems only right to hold out for the second book and see where that goes. So for now, three stars it is.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

05/07/2011 page 335

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I wont pretend to know you very well, but from what I do know I'll be Shocked if I'm wrong about how I think you will feel about this book. I look forward to hearing either way

Megan Ah! Now I am curious :) Well... I've been away from the computer for a few days, and actually just finished the book this morning ~ and I really enjoyed it. Not as good as, say Unearthly or super original, but so much better than a lot of YA that is PR/UF. Have you read this yet? Off to check your reivew if you have :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok well, I am shocked then. I guessed that you would not go for the silliness of the girl, I forget her name.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana This book is my book club's June pick. I dread reading it. Glad to know you did not hate it, Megan.

Megan Yeah, Evie's silliness was a bit over the top. You are right though, that thing does kinda bug me ;) But there were so many good aspects to this story ~ I agree with you, a five star books are flawless, and four star are special ~ but this one I think merits almost four stars simply because in the YA PR/UF market it is one of the better ones. So far. If she doesn't mature a bit, the series has the potential to go downhill or become stale.

message 6: by Megan (last edited May 06, 2011 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan Tatiana wrote: "This book is my book club's June pick. I dread reading it. Glad to know you did not hate it, Megan."

Kate is right though Tatiana ~ the protag is super young and kinda reminds me of Rainbow Mac. Actually, a lot of this book reminds me of lots of other UF/PR. You can tell Kiersten White has been heavily influenced by current authors. However, there are a lot of good things about it. I'm totally looking forward to your review :)

Galla I found this one just plain fun. It was fast, funny, and actually quite charming in spots. Glad you liked it!

Megan Galla, you're right ~ it's not the best, but it is fun and very charming for sure :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

lol, Rainbow Mac! :)
Your optimism for seeing Evie mature in future novels comforts me, for some reason I suppose I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility.
I'll also look forward to Tatiana's review on this one. :)

Kristy I enjoyed this one, but also apprehensive about book #2..... The "pinkness" got to me though!!!! (not in a good way)

Megan lol ~ yeah, her love of pink was a little over the top. I couldn't picture her pink boots and what, zebra? lepord print? dress. I'm not a conservative dresser, but that outfit seemed way crazy and not as cute as she made it sound.

Kristy In the words of andre leon talley, total dretitude! Thats right I just referenced americas next top model, I hate myself for liking that show!

Megan A-haha! We all need some brain candy from time to time :)

Kristy I just love the pictures... I cant help myself!!!

Megan They are beautiful :)