Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)'s Reviews > The Kneebone Boy

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter

Jul 06, 2010

bookshelves: arc, mg, fantasy, own, signed-copy, book-a-day
Read on July 05, 2010

When I began this book I wasn't exactly sure what to expect of it. The story begins in a very different voice and style from other Ellen Potter novels. However, I would make the arguement that Ellen has taken her writing to a whole new level with this story. There is a richness and complexity with the story that will appeal to older Middle Grade readers and even adults who are reading along with their children.

The Kneebone Boy takes place in England and is written in a style that fans of Lemony Snickets' Series of Unfortunate Events or Pseudonymous Bosch's Secret Series will be familiar with. In the story the three Hardscrabble children (Otto, Lucia, and Max) are sent to stay with their cousin Angela in London while their father is away. When the children arrive in London, they discover that there has been a miscommunication and Angela is in Germany. Not wanting to return home and to the house of their unpleasant babysitter, the children begin to explore London and end up on a journey that leads to more clues and information about their mother who disappeared years ago.

In an effort to keep this completely spoiler-free, I will say that Potter's storytelling and writing are masterful and keeps the reader entertained without revealing secrets and surprises too quickly. If you are not familiar with Snickets' or Bosch's stories, then I would suggest that you give the story a couple of chapters to acclimate yourself to the narrator's manner. Once in the rhythm of the story you will find yourself, enjoying the interjections and information provided by the narrator.

As the date of release for the book comes nearer, I will update my review but for now I will just say...definitely worth the read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kneebone Boy.

07/05/2010 page 175
61.0% "Ellen has outdone herself."
show 1 hidden update…