Morgan F's Reviews > The Exile of Gigi Lane

The Exile of Gigi Lane by Adrienne Maria Vrettos

Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, pulse-it, goodreads-author, its-a-girl, 2010, read-2010, medium-sized, e-book
Read from April 04 to 29, 2010

I can sum this book up in one word: ridiculous. But strangely, I enjoyed it all the same.

Gigi Lane, our narrator, is an over-the-top caricature of herself. She is the mean girl. The top-dog. The future prom queen. I'm sure you know the type, if not from real life experience, then from pretty much every teen movie ever made.

Anyway, the book starts off at the end of her junior year at Swan's Lake- an all-girl private school run by the beautiful, powerful Hot Spot. The Hot Spot is a trio of flawless, uber-popular seniors which make sure the schools stays in order. They assign the first years tasks (such as cleaning window, vacuuming, etc.), they keep the cliques in line (the Cheerleaders, the Glossies, the Vox Foxes, etc.), have a mysterious Den of Secrecy, and are part of The Network- powerful connections that will have you set for life. Sounds awesome, right? Gigi, who is next in line for the Head Hottie throne, is super excited for her senior year. But as you can imagine, and correctly assume from the title and premise, things go wrong.

I loved this book, though I didn't start out that way. By Chapter Three, I was convinced this was the most unrealistic bag of BS I've ever read. Had the writer ever been to high school in the least? I wanted to stab the very unlikable Gigi with a fork. Then Gigi came back from Alaska (read the book and find out), and a light shined down from the heavens as I finally understood what this book was. It was supposed to be over-the-top bullshit. It was sattire! Ohhhh

After that, the book was a whole lot more enjoyable as I laughed at Gigi's bizarre antics and the absurd plot. Even though it was sort of predictable in the beginning, some of the twists at the end genuinely surpised me. And Gigi changed for the better.....sort of.

So overall, I don't know. This will either be a hit-or-miss for some people. You'll either appreciate the humore, or give up on Gigi from the start. Most of the negative reviews on here complain about Gigi being "unrelatable", to that I say well, duh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exile of Gigi Lane.

04/04/2010 page 25
7.1% "I'm not sure if this is being intentionally hilarious..."
04/05/2010 page 68
19.32% "I'm guessing this is mean girl satire"
04/06/2010 page 110
31.25% "I think I understand it, but I'm not sure if I like it."
04/22/2010 page 170
48.3% "I kinda forgot I was reading this book for a while."
04/26/2010 page 300
85.23% "Why, Gigi! You almost have a heart! We can't have that now...go shave a kitten."
04/28/2010 page 316
89.77% "The earrings are out, the purses are down....it's time for a bitch fight. Everybody take a step back."
show 4 hidden updates…