Tracy Riva's Reviews > Magesign

Magesign by Alan Baxter

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: dark-fiction, thriller, mystery, horror, intrigue
Read from April 01 to 09, 2010

MageSign by Alan Baxter

MageSign by Alan Baxter is the second volume in a duology that began with Baxter’s RealmShift. The character of Isiah must pursue a personal vendetta with no assistance, or direction, from the force he usually serves, known as the Balance. MageSign is a fast paced ride through the depths of darkness a human soul can hold. It builds in intensity with a mystery involving a dark and twisted cult that leaves you longing for more, while building a deeper sense of dread that leaves you nearly afraid to turn the pages.

A sample of the darkness, from the early pages of the book that made my skin crawl follows:

“…’What am I doing?’ the Sorcerer asked quietly. ‘I’m feeding the baby, of course.’
With one swift motion the blade swept around and straight across Colley’s thin, pale throat. Immediately blood poured from the broad gash in an arterial flood, showering over the child. The Sorcerer muttered the words of his magic, holding tightly as Colley bucked once, twice, before collapsing limp. As Braden screamed the baby stretched its arms up into the waterfall of blood, clutching and grasping at the hot, red fluid. The blood poured over the child and into his mouth and the child gulped and gurgled, swallowing as much of the blood as he could. Little arms and legs squirmed and writhed, his small body arching up into the flow, desperately drinking deeply, the movement of the newborn unnatural. ‘He entered this world in a bath of his virgin mother’s lifeblood,’ the Sorcerer whispered, ‘and his first meal is swallowed from the bloodbath of another. We begin here the creation of untold power.”

While MageSign can be read alone I highly suggest reading the first volume of the series RealmShift, which provides an in-depth back-story for MageSign. After reading MageSign I found myself yearning for more of Isiah’s adventures, which may perhaps include a few other characters from the book. Stand alone volumes that have nothing to do with the duology or a trilogy would be fine, just give me more Isiah!

MageSign by Alan Baxter, First Edition 2008 by Blade Red Press, ISBN 978-0-9805782-1-8, Second Edition April 2010 by Gryphonwood Press ISBN 978-0-9825087-5-6 Available thrhough Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com, other online bookstores as well as local book retailers. For more information consult the author's website at http://www.alanbaxteronline.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magesign.

04/01/2010 page 10
2.75% "I'm just starting MageSign as I've recently finished Baxter's phenomenal RealmShift. Only 10 pages in and I'm already hooked."
04/03/2010 page 72
19.78% "Baxter just keeps getting better and better. I don't want to put it down." 3 comments
04/07/2010 page 147
40.38% "The book is great. The storyline is complex and Baxter takes you from the deep shadows of "RealmShift" into true darkness in "MageSign"."
show 1 hidden update…