Michael Milton's Reviews > Pedagogy of the Bible: An Analysis and Proposal

Pedagogy of the Bible by Dale B. Martin

Apr 01, 10

Nice book. Seminary students taught the historical-critical method graduate to become clergy who do not share its findings with their followers. While doing so might expand their followers' horizons, it might also place the clergy's own authority at risk -- even liberal mainliners can get freaked out by the idea that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John weren't written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. When I was younger I became persona non grata in several circles after sharing this information, so I can understand why people positioning themselves as leaders would be unwilling to get into, e.g., what the word "deuteroPauline" means.

Still, I'd always seen many church leaders (like a few I've had) as cravenly withholding learning to maintain social control. This book has persuaded me, however, that many of these leaders simply haven't been taught how to connect the dots theologically between historical views of the Bible and their own traditions.

I'd have given Martin's book 5 stars were in not for the ghastly photoshopped thumbnail on the cover. I can be persuaded to view clergy unwilling to share their training as "uneducated" rather than "cowardly," but a fingernail that's had the average blur filter applied to simulate nail polish stretches my credulity to the breaking point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pedagogy of the Bible.