Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Heat Wave

Heat Wave by Richard Castle

2035961
Apr 23, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction

I love the tv show "Castle." The acting is good, and for a cop show, it's fairly light. The humor and chemistry that are apparent on the tv show are what prompted the penning of this title, even though the real author of the book has not yet been revealed.

However, I still very much love the tv show over the book. The author did an admirable job trying to capture the feel of the show, and whether it is a credit to the author or the fun quality of the show, I easily pictured the tv actors and sets in the novel.

My biggest problem with the book was that the author either didn't understand why Kate/Nikki is a likable character or he/she didn't know how to write it. In the book, Nikki comes off as a cold, bitchy, hardass who is somehow supposed to be alluring to the men around her. It just didn't play well.

Also, the author didn't have much of a flair for nuance. Everything in the story was a ton of bricks, so it felt like there was only one dynamic. I'm glad I read it for the experience, but from now on, I'll stick to the show.

My only curiosity at this point is wondering who actually wrote the book. A search of the Library of Congress Copyright Office database provided no answers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.

04/21/2010 page 118
59.6% "Cheesy"

Jamie The first book in the series was pretty weak, but they get better.

I, too, wasn't enthralled by Heat Wave, but the 2nd book, Naked Heat, was quite a bit better. The 3rd book, Heat Rises, was very well done.

Liza Gilbert Good to know.