BoekenTrol's Reviews > The Grass Is Singing

The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: 1001-library, english_language, literature_and_fiction, novels-nos, started-not-finished, stories-of-life
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: soffitta1
Recommended for: mafarrimond
I own a copy, read count: none
BCID: 7436905

I was very curious for this book, from the blurp it looked like an interesting read.
So, when Soffitta1's 1001-VBB came along, I decided it was finally time to read it and pass it on to another member.

Too bad, that I did NOT like it from the start. I decided to give it a try anyway, but did not get past page 50. Just not a book for me. I usually have a problem with books set below the equator. It is often the pace of the writing.

In this case to that the ignorance of the white characters, the willingness to close eyes to the bad or unjust things that the white victim did and eagerness to put all the blame to a black man, without even knowing what had really happened. Not wanting to know what happened. It may be / may have been African reality, but I just get very angry with such an attitude.

There are more books to read, so I'm not going to try any longer.
Hopefully the next reader will like it better.

P.S. I am not going to rate the book with the one star I wanted to give it, because GR seems to count stars ad 'read this book'. And I do not want it to go to my 2011 read books, since I did not read it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grass Is Singing.

Petra X Years ago I liked Lessing's Canopus in Argos books but skipped the others. I'm just about to read The Grass is Singing, so I hope I enjoy it more than you!

message 2: by BoekenTrol (new) - added it

BoekenTrol Added some lines to my review.

Petra X I finished the book and did a review. The book was not at all down on the black man, the very opposite in fact. I was a 5-star read to me but as they say, different strokes for different folks.