Lynn Abbey's Reviews > The Seville Communion

The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Apr 01, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, not-historic-fiction-when-it-was-wr
Read from April 01 to 10, 2010

Okay, so I bought this book thinking it was part of the author's Captain Alatriste series and almost returned it when I realized it was a technological thriller, set in 1995-vintage Seville, with a Vatican priest as the main character. I'm very glad I kept it.

For me, it was less a thriller (though the mysteries are intriguing), more an intense character-study of a very different sort of man. Lorenzo Quart, the priest and protagonist, characterizes himself as "the last Knight Templar," obedient and loyal to an institution that rarely has his best interests at heart. He's not a character who happens to be a priest, but a priest who happens to be a participant in a series of relatively small events that change him in cherished ways.

The backdrop is Seville, Spain -- a city I now want to visit -- and the supporting characters are, I have to believe, as typical of that city as any of Damon Runyon's or Dashell Hammett's characters were typical of their milieux, and just as dignified and memorable.

I read this novel in a translation by Sonia Soto who rendered Perez-Reverte's prose into simple, yet elegant English

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seville Communion.