Amanda's Reviews > Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2011

I can't even tell you how much I loved this book...made even more special because it will forever be the book that I read the day my mom died. And I think that was "meant to be". The way death (not the person) is treated in the book is so reverential and gave me a great perspective...like this passage:

"Tell me what it is like to die."
He dismounted from his horse, looking at me strangely the whole while, "You experience something similar every day, " he said softly. "It is as familiar to you as bread and butter."
"Yes," I said. "It is like every night when I fall asleep."
"No. It is like every morning when you wake up."

Beautiful.

The whole book was beautiful and even poetic at moments.

I think Keturah might be my favorite heroine ever. She was an amazing combination of humor, intelligence, bravery, compassion, charity and beauty.

And what would it be like to see Death in love? You'll have to read to find out.

Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keturah and Lord Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryony (new) - added it

Bryony Wow -- you sure know how to sell a book! :)

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela That quotation above from Death's perspective is more than enough to sell me on this book. Wow. :)

Keeline I thought of you and mom while reading this book. It made it even more special.

Tiffany I loved this book too Amanda. I loved it even more reading it with your perspective in mind. Luvs

GrimTheGirl I felt the same way...the book was so great, I loved every bit. And Death in LOVE? That's a new, greatly loved idea. Anyone know where she was telling this story? Afterlife? Or was this just a story after all(I hope not!!)?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry about your loss Amanda. I'm glad this book comforted you during that period.
There is a movie currently being funded for if you are interested in being a part of something you loved.

Sarah The second I read your review I wanted to read this book so much! Thank you. I am sorry for your loss.